The best friggin' tip for improving AA1 experience!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aabxx, Jan 25, 2009.

1. aabxx

aabxx

Just use bloody Opera.

i'm serious. I hate using non-open source applications unless it's a driver but firefox runs like a pig on an AA1 (SSD-version at least).

Recently tried opera 10 alpha and it's much more responsive. As a test, browse to slashdot.org with both browsers and hold down pagedown. Notice how firefox becomes very unresponsive while opera manages to keep it together. Just an example.

I don't frequent this forum so I thought I'd be the most helpful I can be with my one visit :9

aabxx, Jan 25, 2009
  2. aabxx

Juiceski

Good tip. Opera is considerably quicker than FF3 on the SSD model AA1. Thanks for the suggestion.

Juiceski, Jan 25, 2009
  3. aabxx

azz2811

i have the aao with the 160 gb hdd with ubuntu and i found that fire fox was faster not by much then opera i dont know if that has anything to do with the hdd

azz2811, Jan 25, 2009
  4. aabxx

hardran3

I have both on my AAO 8GB and there is no difference here. I have applied some tweaks to FF3 though.

hardran3, Jan 25, 2009
  5. aabxx

fozzya

Try swiftfox or swiftweasel.

fozzya, Jan 25, 2009
  6. aabxx

Elllipsis

I agree with this...ff is a better browser over all and I would use it in a second but on my 8GB SSD 1GB RAM Opera runs so much better in my expirence (maybe because I have a million addons I want). Perhaps this is a side effects of Opera being implemented as one of the first mobile browsers...

Elllipsis, Jan 26, 2009
  7. aabxx

mh-

Just change some of the configuration in Firefox and it's usable even with the slow SSD.

Here's some of the stuff I changed,

In about:config ::
    // disable disk and offline cache
    set browser.cache.disk.enabled: false
    set browser.cache.disk.capacity: 0
    set browser.cache.offline.enable: false
    set browser.cache.offline.capacity: 0
    // just as a precaution
    add browser.cache.disk.parent_directory: /tmp

// apparently safebrowsing slows things down
    set browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled: false
    set browser.safebrowsing.enabled: false

set network.prefetch-next: false

// don't show suggestions in the search bar
    browser.search.suggest.enabled: false

// don't spellcheck as I type
    layout.spellcheckDefault: 0

mh-, Jan 28, 2009
  8. aabxx

sombrero

I second the recommendation of opera. It is much faster than ff3 indeed and without tweaks..

sombrero, Feb 1, 2009
  9. aabxx

Roy Fokker

Vanilla Google Chrome simply flies on the One. The interface takes up least space of all browsers and it's my number one choice for netbook browsing ever since it came out.

Roy Fokker, Feb 1, 2009
  10. aabxx

ux50

Have you tried the latest Epiphany-Webkit?
    It runs so light and smooth like Apple-Safari. :lol: :p
    Chrome is also based on Webkit.

Be sure to use Webkit version 1.0.1-4+r40306 and Epiphany 2.24.3. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Ps. Just check http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/boo ... s/epiphany

ux50, Feb 1, 2009
  11. aabxx

azz2811

thats nice

azz2811, Feb 6, 2009
  12. aabxx

umonster

I third the Opera reco. I was getting terribly jerky scrolling in FF on my Linpus SSD version. I was looking into swapping out the SSD card for a hard drive, but after I installed Opera, I found the performance to be much superior.

umonster, Feb 7, 2009
  13. aabxx

exwannabe

After an admittedly brief use of Opera, I have one serious issue.

Real-estate.

On Firefox I have no problem config'ing it to have a single menu/naviagation/status panel at the top which holds all I need. With Opera it was not obvious how to do this.

For starters, how to re-layout the menus to have something like bookmark and tools only, moving any stray useful items from stupid menus to tools.

This is a big issue to me. I run w/o title bars (what a waste) and often hide my single desktop panel (which include both top/bottom standard Gnome panels for all I care about).

No issue with Opera per-see here, I think it is an excellent browser.

exwannabe, Feb 8, 2009
  14. aabxx

bailout

exwannabe, Opera is very customisable and easy to do so but you might not be able to exactly replicate your ff setup. It would also be easier to advise if you posted a screenshot of your ff to show what you want.

Just a few tips though, just right click on a toolber to open the customise dialog. All the toolbars can be turned off or moved. Most of the buttons or items can be removed or moved to another toolbar by just click and drag. Alt - F11, toggles the menu bar. The button to the left of the tabs toggles the panels (I use the panels for bookmarks, notes, email etc). Opera also has loads of keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures (not that I use these much myself).

btw how do you turn off title bars, are you using gnome? I know this is possible in kde and openbox but haven't found a way of doing it in xfce or gnome yet?

bailout, Feb 10, 2009
  15. aabxx

exwannabe

Removing title bars.

Right now I am running compiz over gnome. If you go this way, in compix settings -> windows decoration -> decorations windows: !tsate=maxvert is my setting.

BTW, I have seen no power/performance drawbacks when I migrated from my previous xfce desktop to gnome+compiz I think the better integrated software is enough to make up for the overhead.

Back on opera, I could easily see how to turn bars/panels on/off. It was moving itrems from one to the other I didn't see. I will give it a try next time I have a few free minutes (and mAH).

Cheers.

And also, I find keyboard shortcuts VERY valuable on this device. Mouse gesture, not at all.

exwannabe, Feb 10, 2009
  16. aabxx

Acreo Aeneas

Opera is the only browser that uses hard drive swap space less frequently than FF or Chrome (at least in my usage). Memory usage is still on par with the other major browsers, but CPU usage is somewhat lower.

Acreo Aeneas, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question