Thanks everyone...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Homey, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Homey

Homey

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help we've had with the Aspire One. I regret to to inform you all the we've now returned the laptop to PC World as we found the whole experience awful. I think that Acer's slant on a Linux laptop leaves a LOT to be desired as right out of the box :

1) Live update (or whatever it's called) doesn't work
    2) MSN doesn't work
    3) Webcam has no sound!
    4) Can't add new programs without the right-click hack.
    5) Impossible (for newbies) to network with a Windows network.
    6) Impossible (for newbies) to connect to a network printer on a windows network.

Without this forum's help, I'm sure there would have been a lot more to go on this list. I understand that most of these problems can be hacked away but most buyers won't be able to do this! I just can't see any point in Acer selling something like this and making it 'work' in such a half-assed way!

By contrast the Toshiba NB100 Ubuntu Netbook Remix laptop we've just bought is truly amazing. Right out of the box it:

1) Connects and browses our wireless Windows network
    2) Detects the network printer, downloads the appropriate drivers and prints!
    3) It's easy to add new programs and modify all the menus, icons etc - no restricted access to add/remove programs!
    4) Webcam is superb and records sound and video perfectly
    5) IM works brilliantly with MSN, Yahoo etc.
    6) One click switch between the Netbook Remix desktop and the traditional Ubuntu desktop!

Everything just works on it right out of the box and it's nice to know that our faith in Linux has not been misplaced! I'm now happy that my daughter can now learn to use the OS as she wants to without me having to try and hack the Acer first (and screwing it up).

For £20 extra, I think any prospective purchasers of a linux netbook should check this laptop out and save themselves a lot of hassle.

Once again, many thanks to you all for all the help!

Homey

Homey, Jan 5, 2009
  2. Homey

woodland

read and weep..

http://apcmag.com/toshiba_nb1000_say_no ... etbook.htm

i just hope you didn't pay 700 dollars for this

except for the internal mic, which still doesn't work i must admit, i'm very happy with my 200 euro netbook and it was quite easy to solve all the "problems' you mentioned.

woodland, Jan 5, 2009
Ask a Question