Thailand's gamers fight to save the open internet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

This is unbelievable! I hope this never happens to us living in the west. I feel so bad for the people living in Thailand :( Censorship in excess is never good!

''[​IMG]

Thailand's military junta has already banned Facebook (a few times), Bitcoin and the game Tropico, but that's not enough for the censor-happy dictatorship. The nation is now kicking around the idea of a single gateway -- effectively one internet connection between Thailand and the rest of the world. With that in place, the government would have complete control over the country's internet traffic, making censorship and surveillance a breeze. Naturally, this so-called Great Firewall of Thailand isn't something that its citizens are taking lying down, which is why several government websites were taken down in a co-ordinated DDoS attack last week.''

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/07/great-firewall-thailand/

Sefie, Oct 7, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

That sounds awful and very controlling! I hope and I believe it won't ever happen here. Thanks goodness for freedom!

IcyBC, Oct 8, 2015
  3. Sefie

Diane Lane

That's a gorgeous picture, @Sefie. Do you live in Thailand? I know the government in certain countries tries to severely limit the freedom of citizens, if they're even called that in those places. I rail against the control the government here in the United States has over us, and can't imagine living in that type of society. I hope the people are able to prevail in this case, and the internet is opened up there, so they are able to access at least most of what's on the internet.

Diane Lane, Oct 8, 2015
  4. Sefie

Sefie

Hi diane :) No, I don't live there, I took that picture from the web site ;) I have never been there, but I was shocked to hear about this plan! I know some people who have been there, most of them say it's such a wonderful and cheap place to retire, so this came as a shock. This kind of articles makes one wonder, you know?

Sefie, Oct 9, 2015
  5. Sefie

Sefie

I know, I was actually shocked to read that, I had always thought people enjoyed of more freedom over there, you know? After all that place is one of the top places for gender reassignment surgeries, one would think they'd not be so controlling with what people do online. We are truly lucky indeed!

Sefie, Oct 9, 2015
  6. Sefie

IcyBC

Me too, I have never thought that Thailand is such a controlling country and thought they are exercising freedom as much as the Western world. If it is from North Korea, I understand. I believe they are still under Monarchy reigns?

IcyBC, Oct 10, 2015
  7. Sefie

Sefie

@IcyBC Yeah, they still have kind, but they also have kings in the Netherlands, Norway and other European countries. If you ask me those monarchs are a total waste of money. The king of the Netherlands recently raised his salary, his wife's and even his mom's salary... for doing absolutely nothing. I hope we can all live in a monarchy free world soon.

Sefie, Oct 11, 2015
Ask a Question