Team Fortress 2 on XP? Portal?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by robotmaker, Sep 5, 2008.

1. robotmaker

robotmaker

has anyone tried it? How about Portal?

robotmaker, Sep 5, 2008
  2. robotmaker

Ranjit

Half life 2 is not going to run well at all, so anything based on its engine is not going to work either unfortunatly :(
    and on top of that you can forget half life 1 also it has trouble running at a decent fps like 30 usagly it runs at 20 at lowest settings possible

Ranjit, Sep 5, 2008
  3. robotmaker

RGGG

Half Life 1 runs perfectly on an AAO, so i don't see how it runs so slow for you. I tested it on a winxp, 120gb 1 gb ram AAO

RGGG, Sep 10, 2008
  4. robotmaker

Ranjit

humm wierd, well i tested Half life Opposing fronts got 20fps, and Counter strike 1.6 same deal, and Day of Defeat was 18fps.

Ranjit, Sep 10, 2008
  5. robotmaker

picassolsus

Half-Life 1 runs beautifully. Flawless.

AAO XP, 1.5GB's RAM, 120GB HD.

picassolsus, Sep 10, 2008
  6. robotmaker

Igniseus

Seriously is there something fishy going on here or what? I don't get how people are getting a decent framerate in HL based games or if their getting the same as us it is far, far from flawless. Running around enjoying the scenery sure, but trying to shoot things, ugh way too slow.

Igniseus, Sep 10, 2008
  7. robotmaker

Biostem

I installed Quake 2 and Max Payne 1, and both run remarkably well. I had to turn down the sample rate for Max Payne, as even w/ the most up to date sound card drivers, it sometimes stutters when someone is speaking.

Biostem, Sep 11, 2008
  8. robotmaker

Ranjit

I think alot of people think 20 fps is smooth, i guess thats what happens when 90% of computers come shipping with intergrated graphics :roll:

Ranjit, Sep 11, 2008
  9. robotmaker

picassolsus

Well, when we're talking about splitting hairs between 20fps and xxfps or whatever these diehard gamers consider flawless, then maybe it's not adequate for their needs.

Although, I'm only human and personally I'm not able to tell the difference. Its runs, I play it. I didn't turn down any of the settings. I ran it at 800x600 other settings default. I don't get all orgasmic about needing to game at 3895693457x485689 resolution though and UltraSuperDuper-Nutsac-Swelling High detail settings either.

It's a netbook. So yes, in that context, it runs flawless.

picassolsus, Sep 11, 2008
  10. robotmaker

Ranjit

Yes many of us are diehard gamers,but were not splitting hairs here. Its a standard to say that if a game runs under 30 fps, its not properly playable, and this is especially true when considering FPS games, and 10 fps may not seem like a lot in numbers but it makes a considerable difference, sure you may find it playable but it is not flawless like you stated in our eyes, and we never mentioned running it at higher settings at all or at a higher resolution(infact most games cannot go above 800x600, because of the AAO 1024x600 resolution is not a standard resolution), we just want the game to run fast and responsive and at 20 FPS this is not so.

Even if it is a netbook, were still trying to game to run on it properly to the majority's standards(and Review/industry standards), which is 30fps, so while 20 fps may be the flawless for you which is fine, the majority of people, not just "diehard" gamers, find that slow.

Ranjit, Sep 11, 2008
  11. robotmaker

drkdagron

counter-strike runs fine when your by yourself, but as soon as u go online and the game sees all the other players thats when it starts to choke

drkdagron, Sep 13, 2008
  12. robotmaker

STEEEL

I was shoppy so I changed the resolution to 640x480 and the game (hl1 and friends) runs fine now (above 30fps)

STEEEL, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question