Taskbar customisation gone awry

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by quinnk, Aug 29, 2008.

1. quinnk

quinnk

Hi all,

I have followed the instructions in the Modify your Taskbar tutorial (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=736).
    When I did Step 3 to run "xfce4-panel.old" for the first time, the taskbar takes up approx 1/4 of the screen (or 4x the height it is by default, approx.). I've since followed the steps in the tutorial multiple times and cannot get the original panel running again, or have the panel look like the screenshot in the Taskbar tutorial.

I had thought the oversized panel was expected, as the tutorial said the original Xfce panel was "slightly misconfigured" so I went ahead and added the Menu and a few other plugins to the panel. However when I ended xfce4-panel.old and ran xfce4-panel &, the oversized panel reappeared... there is also no change when restarting.

I'm assuming this could be a theme issue, because it appears to be the background image of the taskbar that isn't scaling correctly or is too big - see the attached screenshots. When I increase the panel text/icon size, the same gap between icons and the top of the panel is the same.

Has anyone else seen this, or could suggest where the panel theme could be changed?

[attachment=1:2k2djvsc]Screenshot-1.png[/attachment:2k2djvsc]

[attachment=0:2k2djvsc]Screenshot-2.png[/attachment:2k2djvsc]

quinnk, Aug 29, 2008
  2. quinnk

quinnk

Ok, this is working now - most certainly related to theme but I'm not sure which one does this. Have added the pager and a spacer line that are both too big for the panel, so will keep playing with themes until I find one that works :/ Will post if I find out which theme caused the pager to look as I posted previously.

Cheers! :D

quinnk, Aug 29, 2008
  3. quinnk

linker3000

I have this problem too - anyone know how to fix it quickly!?

Thanks

linker3000, Sep 26, 2008
  4. quinnk

retsaw

The problem is caused by some configuration option in your ~/.gtkrc file, I can't remember which option it is, but hopefully that will point you in the right direction for solving your problem.

retsaw, Sep 28, 2008
Ask a Question