T-Mobile (UK) Huawei E172 usb 3G Modem working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drewb, Aug 21, 2008.

1. drewb

drewb

My first post since joining the forum last weekend. I've found it to be a great source of info for my new toy.
    I have the blue 110 Linpus 8gb model and can report that the T-Mobile e172 usb 3g modem works no probs with the vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux software. I installed the software following instructions found elsewhere on the forums. The first time I launched the software it prompted me to create a profile with a username & password (just enter anything you like) and away you go :D

drewb, Aug 21, 2008
  2. drewb

OneHead

Excellent! :mrgreen:
    I didn't know Vodafone were Linux-friendly. Do you have a link to the specific drivers? Also, for the newbies such as myself, can you link to the "instructions found elsewhere on the forums" please?

OneHead, Aug 24, 2008
  3. drewb

akafudge

Good news, I too would like to do this.

Thanks.

akafudge, Aug 24, 2008
  4. drewb

dreniac

Ah excellent! The website already showed support. But always good to hear that a normal user actually got it working :lol:
    Can't wait until I get connected next week ;)

Anything to say about the speed? I should have HSDPA 7,2 MBit/s....

BTW you won't find the driver on the Vodafone site (only Win and Mac). As usuall Linux drivers are not official supported. Lets me think about HP, wo startet writting drivers for WiFi under Linux but never showed on their website.
    Anyway here you go: https://forge.betavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec/

dreniac, Aug 25, 2008
  5. drewb

43kh4n

Which driver do I choose for downloading on the Acer One and how to install?
    I downloaded the 1st ALL version and double clicked it once downloaded but nothing happened?

43kh4n, Aug 27, 2008
  6. drewb

mgztt190

Hi All

i know this must sound a bit thick but i have also jusy got the T Mobile usb stick to work with the vodafone driver, but how do we know its using the T mobile network and not roaming onto the Vodafone network, i got caught with this in feb and ended up with a £300 bill for the MB used on another network

regards

david

mgztt190, Sep 14, 2008
  7. drewb

doug

Anybody? Please?

doug, Sep 16, 2008
  8. drewb

s18454

Hi guys,

I have the T-Mobile USB wifi modem. I am an absolute technophobe and so could really do with some help here. Can some kind soul please post some easy to follow step by step guide to get this working so that I can really utilise my new toy.

s18454, Sep 16, 2008
  9. drewb

jammer

I posted the below in a earlier thread about the Huawei E220 USB Modem and Linpus. I use T-Mobile 3G mobile broadband on a Huawei E220. In theory procedure will work on the E172 as they are both USB serial devices.

I managed to get my Huawei E220 running on Linpus Lite without the need for the Vodafone connect software.

The procedure I followed was:

1. Install gcc and make via yum:
    yum install gcc make

2. Donwload huawei.tar.bz2 from http://oozie.fm.interia.pl/pro/huawei-e220/

3. Extract the file:
    tar xjvf huawei.tar.bz2

4. Change to the new directory and su to root
    cd huawei
    sudo su

5. Compiled the software
    make generic_install

6. Plugin you modem and your done, Linpus will now detect the modem.

I use wvdial to make the connections, my /etc/wvdial.conf is setup for T-Mobile 3G as below:

[Dialer pin]
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Baud = 460800
    Init1 = AT+Cpin=12345

[Dialer tmobile]
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    Baud = 460800
    Init2 = AT
    Init3 = AT&FE0V1X1&D2&C1S0=0
    ISDN = 0
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    Phone = *99***1#
    Username = username
    Password = tmobile

To make the connection run : wvdial tmobile

I have used the files from OOZIE (http://oozie.fm.interia.pl/pro/huawei-e220/) on my other linux systems and never had a problem so highly recommend the solution he has provided to allow the kernel to detect and run the huawei e220 modem correctly.

So far Live update has not effected my installation, obviously if a new kernel not supporting the Huawei e220 modem correctly was downloaded and installed you would have to rerun the procedure. This doesnt bother me as its a 5 minute procedure.

My wvdial.conf configuration is for T-Mobile 3G and may not work on other service providers. :D

jammer, Sep 23, 2008
Ask a Question