System locks up with flashing caps lock LED

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Guest, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

So, this has happened to me twice in the last week, both times while running a dist-upgrade. Basically the entire system locks up, and the caps lock LED starts flashing. It's a bit annoying because when I reboot, I end up with a corrupt ext2 partition and a pile of broken packages.

Has anyone else had this?

Guest, Oct 19, 2008
  2. Guest

donec

What are you running.

donec, Oct 19, 2008
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10... It just occurred to me that the apt cache is probably in tmpfs, so maybe it's running out of memory (beta builds seem to release 150MB of updates at a time). However, I thought the swapfile would've taken care of it. No OS should simple die when the RAM limit is reached.

I might try the new 3305 BIOS. It mentioned fixing a 'crisis fail', where I believe Acer is coining a term one greater than 'epic fail'.

Guest, Oct 21, 2008
  4. Guest

pr0zac

Hi,
    I think I have the same problem here. Ubuntu 7.08 freezes with a blinking capslock-led.
    My BIOS-Version is 3301.
    Does the update to version 3305 fix the problem?

pr0zac, Oct 21, 2008
  5. Guest

onlineaddy

This happened to me yesterday. The last thing I did was unplug my AA1 from the AC outlet. I have BIOS v3305, so that's not a solution to this issue. I was in Linpus downloading some torrents, of which all downloaded chunks were lost due to this system freeze and subsequent reboot.

onlineaddy, Oct 29, 2008
  6. Guest

diggmc

Unfortunately I too am suffering from random lockups with the flashing caps lock led. I take a little comfort in knowing I'm not the only one. Does any one know if Acer is aware that the problem still exists?

I'm using a non-modified A0A 150-1101 (1.5G Ram / 160G HD) with Intrepid (plus tweaks from the wiki).

Other than that, I'm seriously loving this machine. Much more useful than my eeepc 701.

G.

diggmc, Nov 4, 2008
  7. Guest

RockDoctor

Sounds like a kernel panic.Haven't had this problem on my AA1 recently, but my last kernel updates were over a week ago.
    Code:
     uname -r
    in a terminal window to see what version of the kernel you're running.

RockDoctor, Nov 6, 2008
  8. Guest

diggmc

A kernel trap could be the problem and I neglected to check the syslog/klog's after these hangs, but will next time it occurs.

The kernel version is 2.6.27-7-generic, which is the current default kernel for Ubuntu Ibex. I've had no problems on my Mac Mini or Macbook machines with this kernel but I certainly won't rule out kernel traps.

G.

diggmc, Nov 9, 2008
  9. Guest

donec

Care to explain what a kernel trap is for us less knowledgeable?

donec, Nov 9, 2008
  10. Guest

djt205

Kind of like a Linux version of the 'Blue Screen of Death' on Windows.

Basically an error from which the kernel couldn't recover. I had this on my AA1 when I went into standby, guess this isn't the problem you're having?

djt205, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question