System Backup with Clonezilla

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sanger440, Dec 4, 2008.

1. sanger440

sanger440

I read here in the forum that clonezilla was working on the Apire One. So I spent some time testing tonight and I believe it worked. I created an image of my system and it ended up gzipped to 1.3 gigs. I have not restored using this image, but I am fairly confident it will work. I plan on using the back up image if I break my current Linpus, but not until then.

So here is basically what I did:

1. Created a bootable usb stick as per the instructions on the clonezilla site. (google clonezilla). I used the HP-Format tool on my windows laptop and used a Fat 16 partition. I used the clonezilla live zipped file and copied the files to my Fat 16 usb stick. I ran the makeboot.bat file as per the instructions, to make the usb stick bootable. Worked perfect. All this was on my windows laptop.

2. As per the instructions on the clonezilla site, I booted the AspireOne to the usb stick using the F12 key. I had a cat 5 cable connected to my AAO also (I am going to store the image on another windows machine on my network)

3. After reading up on the clonezilla site (and watching their little video and various screenshots) I used the default english language and default keyboard and booted into the "mount clonezilla image directory" screen. Here is where I deviated from the examples on clonezilla.

4. I chose the Samba Server option. Here is where I am telling clonezilla where I want the image stored to. At this point clonezilla prompted me for options like which lan card to use (eth0) and I used the dhcp option (I was connected to my router). Clonezilla ran thru dhcp and asked me what IP address I was trying to mount. The Router gave me 192.168.0.1xx. So I just had to enter the last digits to complete the IP of 192.168.0.101, which is the IP of my winxp desktop. It then prompted me for the Domain. The default for windows is Workgroup, but you may have changed to something else. Then clonezilla ask for the path to where you wanted the image. I used D/clone. (I already created the clone directory and had my D drive shared as D.) You need to have write rights set to the D/clone directory. Set this where you share the directory. If you are worried about security, just share the directories temporarily why you do clonezilla Then you press enter and clonezilla will try and mount your shared windows box. I had some trouble here the first few tries because I had spaces in the name of my windows share. Once I had my windows shared as just D, clonezilla used ctifs (or samba) and said all was well. Clonzilla will tell you if the windows share was mounted or not and ask you if you want to proceed. It took me a few tries, but I eventually got it. Again, it was just a matter of not having any spaces in the Domain or Shared Names on my windows desktop.

5. At this point I was home free. I just used the clonezilla default prompts from here, selected my hdd, used the default name provided, but did select the option to power down when finished. It took I think 8 minutes to copy the image and promptly shut down. The image on my winbox was only 1.3 gig, not the 8 gig the partition showed.

6. I have not tried to restore the image yet, but I am sure it will work. You mount the drive in clonezilla the same way as described above but just choose to restore image instead of save image and go through the prompts. You could probably copy the image to a usb stick and restore it from there also.

I chose the network back up because it seemed the easiest. But I think you could boot to one usb stick and back up to another. I am assuming clonezilla would mount another usb port. Or you could back up the image to the SSD drive itself, since the image is gzipped to like 1.3 gig (your image may be bigger)

Anyway, this seems like a nice way to back up your install so you can recover it later, versus putting the starter Linpus image back on and losing all the updates you have done.

Hope this will help others.

Sanger

sanger440, Dec 4, 2008
Ask a Question