Swapping the keys on the keyboard

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Ness, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Ness

Ness

Is it possible ?
    I have a french keyboard (azerty), I want to swap some keys in order to make it a qwerty, but I don't want to break everything. Any tip on how to do it ? Thanks :)

Ness, Nov 12, 2008
  2. Ness

lotus49

I have extensive experience of removing and replacing keys on laptops as I have three young children, all of whom have like levering the keys off. I have to admit they stopped doing it before I got my One but I bet it's the same as all the others.

There are usually three parts to a key, the keycap itself and two other pieces (normally white but occasionally grey or black) which are connected together in a sort of scissor arrangement.

Removing them is just a matter of pulling them off as gently as possible. As long as the three pieces stay stuck together, replacing them is achieved by carefully lining up the key and pressing firmly. That's all there is to it. I should point out that the larger keys like tab, enter, space are slightly different but as far as I can remember, these are all in the same place on an azerty keyboard.

I have done this at least 60 times (yes, it does get very annoying after a while) but it has worked every time as long as the pieces have not been lost. I have never broken a key replacing them but my daughter did break a couple when pulling them off. Unless you are incredibly careless, you should be able to do this more delicately than she did when she was 2. My only advice is to try to lift both sides of the key at the same time and don't pull too hard.

Good luck, but you really shouldn't have too much trouble as long as you are careful.

lotus49, Nov 12, 2008
  3. Ness

Ness

LOL, ok, I'll definately do that once I manage to change the keyboard layout in the system. For now, bad luck, no way I can get rid of this stupid french layout to put my beloved swiss french layout (qwertz layout).

Ness, Nov 12, 2008
  4. Ness

Ness

So, today, I talked with a guy from a notebook store (I know him a bit), and asked him about removing and swapping the keys. He strongly advised me NOT to do it. Told me a friend of his knows how to do it (the thing is, it's easy to take the keys off, but not to put them back), but he tried already on broken laptop keyboards and failed everytime...
    Now, I'm a bit clueless on what to do. I remember doing it on my mother's acer laptop (a bigger one, don't know the brand) because something was stuck under one key, and it was ok. Actually, I didn't think it would be hard to do, and it was reaaaaally easy, but now, I'm scared... :?

Ness, Nov 13, 2008
  5. Ness

Ness

So, I did it ^^ And it was soooooo easy I can't even believe it. The trick to put the key back is to put it from the top and put some pressure by sliding it down in the direction of the spacebar. Then, you push it hard, and... it's done ^^
    I'm now the proud owner of a strange qwertz keyboard :)

Ness, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question