Swapping linux for windows

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by pmarchington, Oct 2, 2008.

1. pmarchington

pmarchington

I've managed to come to grips with the linux operating system but would still like to install windows.
    Is it possible to install windows xp on the 8Gig base model? I have already tried but keep getting the blue screen of death quite early in the installation. Failing this, is there a way of editing the home screen? It just seems a little too twee and unwealdy for me.

pmarchington, Oct 2, 2008
  2. pmarchington

kevin

Can we have an FAQ entry for this, please ? :) This is the third time this question has been asked in the last 24 hours!

The simple answer is: yes, in principle you can install XP on the 8GB model, but it will run like a dog because Windows does too much disk I/O for the relatively slow SSD. Acer sells a Windows AA1 with a hard disk and it has a hard disk for a good reason.

There are many, many threads on this forum about changing the desktop. See this one for example:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1612&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=switch+desktop

kevin, Oct 2, 2008
  3. pmarchington

pmarchington

Sorry about that, should have looked a bit harder. Thanks for the link though, bud.

pmarchington, Oct 2, 2008
Ask a Question