Swap Partition 1GB

Discussion in 'Linux' started by james3, Jul 19, 2008.

1. james3

james3

Hi,

I tried to install Windows XP and i deleted the swap partition of 1GB. Now i decided to install Linpus again but when i chose the partition where to install it i had just the opportunity to choose the whole disk without creating newly the swap.

Can anyone tell me how to create the swap partition again ? Can i do that after i have installed linpus resizing the ext partition ? Which is the software able to do this operation?

thanks so much for your attention

james3, Jul 19, 2008
  2. james3

zk2008

bump... I'd like to know this as well!

zk2008, Jul 20, 2008
  3. james3

cka

You should be able to boot off a LiveUSB of something like Ubuntu (or maybe linpus has a "boot from usb" option?) and futz around with the partition through gparted...

cka, Jul 20, 2008
  4. james3

lotus49

Although this would work, I suspect if you know enough to know how to partition using gparted then you may as well go ahead and install the vastly superior Ubuntu anyway.

Instead of using gparted, why not just start the Ubuntu installation, carry on until the packages are being installed (ie after the disk has been partitioned and formatted) and then just cancel. That will leave you with a non-bootable drive but which has been partitioned (more or less) correctly.

You can then go ahead and use the Linpus recovery disks.

lotus49, Jul 20, 2008
  5. james3

dandesigns

you can install gparted from linpus.

sudo yum install gparted

or if you are more familiar with apt-get, install apt-get. (sudo yum install apt ... then .... sudo apt-get install gparted)

Why not ubuntu? cause not everything on Aspire one is compatible on Ubuntu yet and it loads in 40 secs against 15secs which defeats the purpose of having a umpc. Don't get me wrong cause i support Ubuntu. it's just that it's not made for slim pc's like the aspire one. Once netbook is released with faster loading time and complete support for drivers, i wouldn't think twice installing it. :)

dandesigns, Jul 20, 2008
  6. james3

james3

I just followed the instruction of the recovery DVD and during the installation the 1GB Swap partition was created newly (checked installing QTparted) so i have my Linpus OS working again on my Aspire One

thanks

bye

james3, Jul 20, 2008
Ask a Question