Swap out 2.5" HHD?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Invisibleman, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Invisibleman

Invisibleman

Haven't bought a One yet but I'm planning on it. I've been scouring these forums for info to determine whether I want the SSD version or the HDD. What I am looking for is which model will give me the best options for future modding.

I've been reading about people swapping the stock 1.8" SSD drive for various other drives (ipod drives and HDDs and so forth) so I know that the SSD model is mod-able. What I can't seem to determine is whether the 2.5" HDD is swappable.

Right now my plan is to get the HDD version, upgrade the RAM, and then live with the stock hard drive until 2.5" SSDs drop to an affordable price (which will take two months, literally) but I need a few questions confirmed.

Does the 2.5" HDD use SATA, or what kind of connector? Is it soldered on the motherboard? Would it be swappable for a 2.5" SSD drive?

Invisibleman, Aug 15, 2008
  2. Invisibleman

Sid

Do you plan to run XP, Vista, Linpus, or a different distro?

Another option is to wait....
    because at present nobody has reported that the Wimax/3G compartment has a connector fitted, that would be worth waiting for.

Or you could always buy the SSD and add a 16gb SDHC, then sell it later when a better model is available.
    There is very little difference in the price in the USA, flip a coin :)

Sid, Aug 15, 2008
  3. Invisibleman

Invisibleman

if I get the HDD, I'll run dual boot with XP/linux. I am waiting to see if other options pop up over the horizon (Dell mini inspiron?) but collage is starting back up soon so I don't want to wait too much longer.

Invisibleman, Aug 15, 2008
  4. Invisibleman

olavxxx

its 1.8" and has ZIF connector!

If you plan on running 2.5" you will need to customize the lower housing of the Aspire One (eg. fibre glass?)

olavxxx, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question