Surely someone must know of a better POWER OPTIONS program

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by jackdashack, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jackdashack

jackdashack

I asked this back on the 22nd with no replies, I don't think I'm spamming, just looking for a resolution to a long time problem . POWER OPTIONS seems very limited. Mine set for standby and hibernate rarely if ever work. My Toshiba's give you so much control over processor, brightness, etc. (by jackdashack » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:24 pm)

When I first purchased my Aspire a couple of years ago I was so proud. I recently bought a Motorola Xoom. I wish I had waited. But the Power Options program on my really bites! When a setting says it will go on STANDBY in 5 minutes it never does. You can't set how much of the processor is gonna be used on a setting.

I am used to my Toshibas which give you so much control. Is there any program or anything available that gives you options THAT REALLY WORK, more control, maybe more graphically to show what resources are really being used.

I would be so appreciative! Thanks in advance! Jack jackdashack ":-D

jackdashack, Feb 29, 2012
  2. jackdashack

nestone

nestone, Feb 29, 2012
  3. jackdashack

jackdashack

Re: Surely someone must know of a better POWER OPTIONS progr

I download it, it seems to be a rar file. I run it ... there is a momentary flash of action ... and then nothing? Is it supposed to be a program, have an interface? I don't see where it did anything? I do appreciate your info. jack :cry:

jackdashack, Feb 29, 2012
  4. jackdashack

nestone

nestone, Mar 1, 2012
  5. jackdashack

KiNG

posting on behave of member "JackdaShack"

With all due respect to your kind help I am not seeing something you all are after running a1ctl. I do have the program AA1FanControl but it does nothing like what's listed below.

SPECIFICALLY these things below are not evident. If a1ctl is in fact AA1FanControl I have the latest and greatest but it's not doing these. What the heck am I missing in the communication here. After I run the RAR file where do I find the new functionality? Again, these below are not evident anywhere that I know of:

*complete fan management, with stopped/slow/auto fan modes

*CPU speed management (XP only)

*fast screen resolution changes, with 1024×768 scrolled and downscaled modes (XP only)

*can enable/disable webcam/ethernet/wifi to reduce power usage

*option to prevent HDD clicks

*customizable icons & colors via .ini file

*integrated ACPIEC driver patching to prevent log writing

And if you are shaking your head I am too. I've had pc's since 1987 and been on the web since 1996 and worked through a lot of programs and problems but I am not reading into your posts or the page for a1ctl how it's to be used, where you access it's functionality. So sorry! ":-\ I've lived this long, the sun will come up tomorrow if I don't get it answered! lol ":-D

KiNG, Mar 2, 2012
  6. jackdashack

nestone

nestone, Mar 2, 2012
  7. jackdashack

jackdashack

No, XP but it says it's good for XP. I'm not sure but this netbook, I doubt can upgrade from XP to 7 in any easy way, without all sorts of problems. May not even have the requirements. Sigh! I'll just live with it. My Toshiba's have spoiled me. You have all sorts of controls in the power option! Thanks for the info! Jack ":-D

jackdashack, Mar 2, 2012
  8. jackdashack

nestone

Well, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an old AOA-150 with no problems at all. So, it's "doable." I did increase the RAM to a max of 1.5 GIGs and ended up getting a micro USB wireless LAN dongle as the built in Andros wireless card is limited to B/G speeds and I couldn't find a Windows 7 driver that was stable, although there are several out there. The Windows 7 DVD had eery driver except the SD card slots. I found Vista a driver for that which works fine. I disabled the Andros card in Device Manager. Finally, I have a 6 cell cell battery and get 5 to 6 hours of run time. Such batteries are available on eBay fairly cheap. I'm typing this reply on this old Acer netbook.

nestone, Mar 3, 2012
  9. jackdashack

jackdashack

Thanks guy! That's a little out of my comfort range of getting things done. Oh, for sure in the past I've really delved into some deep solutions of things and prevailed. I guess I'm short on patience these days. The aspire is not my main device, actually the lesser used of my older Toshiba Tablet, the older bigger tablets, and I have a new Motorola Xoom. So the Aspire is neglected a little. Thanks for all the great tips ... they were tops! I guess I was hoping for too much. Just a simple program to download and install. ":-D jack

jackdashack, Mar 3, 2012
  10. jackdashack

jackdashack

This Aspire comes with it's own recovery files on the hard drive itself. So everything was installed from that recently. The power options to me are simply weak and minimal. I thought there might be a program that gives you a little more tweaking advantage. Thanks! jack

jackdashack, Apr 18, 2012
Ask a Question