SuperTux issues

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Verbl Kint, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Verbl Kint

Verbl Kint

SuperTux gets stuck whenever you use the left-ctrl key allong with the arrow keys. The keyboard behaves erratically afterwards (freezes, too) and you can't do anything pretty much after that. :(

Anybody found a solution to this?

Verbl Kint, Jul 19, 2008
  2. Verbl Kint

Raido

To get out of a stuck game, you could try to install xkill (I did) with 'yum install xkill',

Then ctrl-alt-esc will give you a 'kill' cursor which will kill any program you click, including the game (or the desktop, so be careful where you click).

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 20, 2008
  3. Verbl Kint

stuugi

I have this same issue. ctrl-alt-del doesn't do anything, so that's no help.

stuugi, Jul 24, 2008
  4. Verbl Kint

klvn

Same issue with me and the only way to get out is to manual shutdown by holding the power button until your system turns off.

klvn, Jul 25, 2008
  5. Verbl Kint

BlackLagoon

The game conflicts with the SCIM input manager thing that's used to switch to other keyboard layouts... It's activated by Control+Space, aka jump and run in SuperTux. Either change the key combinations in the game, or change the trigger combo in Settings -> Input Languages -> Front End -> Global Settings.

BTW, if you go to the terminal and run:

Code:
    sudo yum update supertux
    it will update SuperTux to a newer, much improved, version. You'll lose all your saved games though, since the levels and world map are somewhat different and not compatible with the old version. It will also for some reason remove the SuperTux icon from the games section in the desktop, however you can still find the game in the advanced menu.

BlackLagoon, Jul 26, 2008
  6. Verbl Kint

Verbl Kint

Does this updated version also contain the ctrl-space issue?

Verbl Kint, Jul 27, 2008
  7. Verbl Kint

BlackLagoon

Well, if you go to the options menu in SuperTux, you can reconfigure the keys away from ctrl and space, although I don't quite recall if this completely solved the issue in the old version. In any case, after both upgrading and reconfiguring the keys, the game plays perfectly now.

BlackLagoon, Jul 27, 2008
  8. Verbl Kint

Zero

Hi,

I did the update, but then the supertux logo disappeared in the games folder. I tried editing the xml-file, but I can't get it to work.
    (supertux.desktop is still the command line in that file). I can see an empty position, where supertux has been before, but I can't put anything on that position. I tried reinstallng supertux already. Can an1 help me with that?

The ctrl space issue was not solved by this update, so changing the keyboard configuration must be the solution to the problem.

Best wishes,
    Nils

Zero, Aug 1, 2008
  9. Verbl Kint

stick

you all got further than me, i couldnt even get into the game on mine, i clickedit and it appeared to start loading to the point where it has the credits on, and then it just keeps replaying that on loop for over an hour, i could do anything with it except shut down the one. dodge!!

stick, Aug 5, 2008
  10. Verbl Kint

3earnhardt3

In order to make the icon reappear you have to edit the groupapp.xml file. go to mydisk, then .config, then xfce, desktop, groupapp.xml. then go to the bottom and put fedora-supertux.desktop where it says supertux.desktop. The new icon will now appear where the old one used to be.

3earnhardt3, Aug 10, 2008
  11. Verbl Kint

Zero

Thanks!

Zero, Aug 12, 2008
  12. Verbl Kint

alex.gemaraz

When try this game, shows: Your system currently is not capable of hardware accelerated 3D.
    How to make it work?

I used AAO 8.9" linpus with Intel945GME. Thx. AG

alex.gemaraz, Feb 18, 2009
  13. Verbl Kint

Aspiration

the controls quit working and I wasn't even using the control key, just the left arrow key sometimes or the other arrow keys. There are certain spots in the game where it does this all the time. Sometimes it will just quit working without any warning when tux gets killed off and it restarts with a new penguin.

Aspiration, Apr 24, 2009
  14. Verbl Kint

Aspiration

Re: SuperTux issues & support coments

Changing the keyboard configuration seems to have the problem licked with the game not responding. Still have issues where I can't go left past the left edge of the screen. Last game seemed to work normally as far as controls working. You'd think that Acer would have put a little more effort into debugging the game. So far, I have had ZERO support help from Acer on a wide variety of topics. Their stance is that as long as the hardware works, its not their problem. No wonder Apple has such loyal customers and Acer doesn't.

Aspiration, Apr 26, 2009
Ask a Question