stupid question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by paisa, Aug 17, 2008.

1. paisa

paisa

I'm trying to get a Netgear PS121 mini print server working as per this post: (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=880). However, I am confused by the instructions which to update cups, which all are headed by "Code All." I have opened a terminal and navigated from Files and have navigated to the root directory (cd /), but all I see is the following prompt:

[user@localhost /]$

I haven't password protected the machine yet. What am I doing wrong?

paisa, Aug 17, 2008
  2. paisa

paisa

:evil: :evil: Progress so far:

1. Reset system password as per: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=543&p=7954.

2. Used Live Update to update system.

3. Went to root as per: http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/linuxterms/index/root.html

4. Got "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again." error when attempting to run "sudo yum update cups. Corrected error as per: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1386&p=9339 (Do NOT uncheck "Updates" or you will get another error).

5. Got the following error: "An unhandled exception has occurred. This is most likely a bug. Please save the crash dump and file a detailed bug report against pirut at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla. Saved file, but haven't filed a report yet.

Any suggestions as to what ELSE I could do?

paisa, Aug 17, 2008
  3. paisa

ukwiz

ukwiz, Aug 17, 2008
  4. paisa

crazyivan

Could this be the reason of getting the following error message from the package manager?

crazyivan, Aug 17, 2008
Ask a Question