Stripped Screw

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ritek, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ritek

ritek

I wanted to upgrade the memory but somehow when I got to the last screw (beside the wifi card) it wouldn't turn. I think I already damaged it.. Any suggestions on how can I remove this screw. Thanks!

[​IMG]

ritek, Oct 14, 2008
  2. ritek

Darryl

Maybe use a Dremel drill to adapt it to a flat head screwdriver?

Darryl, Oct 14, 2008
  3. ritek

woody188

There are tools to remove stripped screws. Check your local hardware. Most use a special drill bit that will screw into the old screw head and allow you to twist the old stripped screw out. Hopefully they will have one small enough for your screw.

Lucky you didn't shear the head off because then you would have to drill it out! :eek:

woody188, Oct 14, 2008
  4. ritek

onlineaddy

Similar thing happend to me when I upgraded my RAM. I have the tool to remove stripped screws, but the one in the AA1 is too small for even the smallest tool. My problem screw was the large one on the motherboard. I finally got it off by pulling hard enough. I wouldn't suggest you do that with the WiFi card though. Sorry I can't be of help. Good luck.

BTW, I was cursing Acer the entire time. How hard is it to make a cover on the bottom of the machine so we can access these components inside? :x

onlineaddy, Oct 14, 2008
  5. ritek

ritek

Yup, I think Acer found out about people upgrading the memory and put some glue in it to make it harder to remove... :|

I read that some use superglue to glue the screwdriver and the screw... haven't tried it yet.. Anymore suggestions guys? Thanks!

ritek, Oct 15, 2008
  6. ritek

SlCKB0Y

when i stripped my wifi screw i used a pair of needle nose pliers to start the screw turning, then used the screw driver

SlCKB0Y, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question