Striped Screen: Cross-Post from Beginner's Section

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by mynameistwista, Jun 2, 2010.

1. mynameistwista

mynameistwista

Original Thread

OneLadyOwner: "I had my AA1 open on the floor when I pulled the quilt off my bed. It swept over the screen and keyboard. The screen now only displays some strange stripes: mostly vertical but some horizontal - rather like a tartan! It is possible that the metal zip hit something.

I have tried switching it off and giving it a rest. I am not sure if it is a hardware or software problem, or can be fixed by hitting the right keys or combination of keys. It does respond to FN to increase brightness and to switch the display, also to sleep.

It seems to be going through the motions of starting up ok, judging by the lights, but the usual screen display just isn't there.

I just don't know what to do, so any suggestions will be gratefully received."

RockDoctor: "Sounds like a problem with the connection between the screen and the motherboard - possible a connector partially disconnected or broken wire(s). Time to open up your AA1 and take a look at the innards"

mynameistwista: "My wife and I just encountered this problem yesterday as well, except our D250 didn't get knocked around (as far as we know... we have a 2 yr hold in the house) it just started doing it all of a sudden.

Our issue sounds nearly identical: usually there're kind of gray vertical lines, sometimes a few horizontal (but always in the middle, like it's dividing the screen into quadrants) and sometimes the vertical lines are different colors. The really odd thing is that the screen will work perfectly fine if it's angled all the way back away from the keyboard. If it's moved from that position, it starts freaking out again.

Before coming across this post, I removed the front cover from the screen, thinking it might be an issue at the hinge, but my untrained eye didn't see anything. Any more help (other than "open up your AA1 and take a look") would be greatly appreciated! Maybe a picture of what the screen-motherboard connection SHOULD look like (oh, and where to find it ). Thanks for the help!"

RockDoctor: "Although I have no problem with opening up any of my desktop machines (I've even built a few), laptops (and netbooks) are another matter. The last time I opened one of my laptops, it took me a couple of days to get it reassembled properly. You might want to cross-post your problem on the hardware section (if you haven't already) - there are plenty of folks who have opened up their Aspire Ones, and they might have some suggestions/helpful hints."

Forone: "If you haven't, you should try connecting an external monitor to determine if the problem is really with the netbook screen - if the external screen works right it's a good sign you're got hardware damage of some sort. No advice on opening the netbook, which I'm afraid to do."

Anymore help (pictures, or links to pictures :) ) would be greatly appreciated!

mynameistwista, Jun 2, 2010
  2. mynameistwista

mynameistwista

So I think I may have discovered the issue...

I found a simple How To on disassembling the D250 at: hax0rpedia.com/index.php/Disassembeling_the_AAO_D250

After taking it almost apart (I somehow stripped the very last screw I had to remove in the battery slot), i noticed that the feed from the motherboard to the screen went through the left hinge. Here I noticed that the wires were rubbing against the hinge/casing.

After fiddling with the cord, trying to stop the rubbing, i put the D250 back together, and it's working range is much more improved (about 80% of it's range).

Anymore tips or ideas would be great. Thanks.

mynameistwista, Jun 4, 2010
Ask a Question