Strange screen issue.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by excalibur, Jun 28, 2010.

1. excalibur

excalibur

I have opened my aspire one up a time or two. It has been so long ago I forget why. I think I was gonna do the hard drive hack but never did.

After I put it back together the last time I installed windows on it. I was introduced to this strange visual distortion depicted in the attached image file. As far as I can tell I haven't done anything physically wrong to the netbook. The only thing I can figure is I electrostatic discharged into a chip or somehow broke the cable. I find both of these events unlikely as it was the dead of humid summer and I always ground myself before I start and during the procedure, though I do not wear a wrist strap. (I find them annoying) and I am ultra careful with things.

This screen is similar in the bios as well, and during the boot up processes all the way from power on. With the exception there is no duplicated screen, its just in the first "screen" you see on the screen.

[​IMG]

you will notice that below the top screen and the bottom screen there is also a 1 inch line of stretch. Also, the screen is supposed to display to the edge of the picture. there is all that black space on the screen.

Is this thing trash? Anyone have any ideas what I could do to fix it?

excalibur, Jun 28, 2010
  2. excalibur

ratbird

I have a very similar issue.
    So i purchased a new LCD. The origninal was a samsung brand, the replacement is a hannstar.
    Model LTN089NT01-002

Here is the original screen: [​IMG]
    Here is the replacement: [​IMG]

I really hope its either the LCD still bad or the video cable. Anyone know?
    thanks

ratbird, Jun 28, 2010
  3. excalibur

ratbird

ratbird, Jun 28, 2010
  4. excalibur

excalibur

It is interesting how similar all these problems are. One of the things suggested in the comments of the first youtube video was that it was a problem with the LCD cable. I just now opened it up and wiggled everything around. tried it in, out, half out, pulling it out slowly, and putting it in slowly live (which I know is asking for trouble). All gave me the same thing. So either a wire is damaged in my LCD cable from simply unplugging it and plugging it back in twice or something more serious is going on.

I did notice on the LCD connector that connects to the board, you will see little metal cut outs, one of these on my connector was completely bent straight out. I don't know if it has been like that, or what, but i bent it back and it broke off. plugged everything back in and still no success. I pushed the lcd connector in hard enough to think maybe im going pull the whole connector off the motherboard. Still no difference.

In any case, good to know I'm not alone. Thanks for the posts.

excalibur, Jun 29, 2010
  5. excalibur

ratbird

I received the used ZG5 cable from ebay installed it, and it works! Problem fixed.

I don't even want to test the old LCD for the fact that it might also ruin the cable. Ill assume both the cable and LCD where bad.
    I hope a new cable fixes your issue. Let us know. Thanks

ratbird, Jul 3, 2010
Ask a Question