Strange red checkers on screen

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Mannyrue, May 6, 2010.

1. Mannyrue

Mannyrue

Ok I emailed acer like 3 day's ago and they were so ever kind to not email me back reguarding the problem I am currently am having with my new laptop..

The problem I am having is this from time to time I get a strange red checkered screen that will appear and no sooner it does it will vanish like nothing happend..

I was wondering what is the problem?..

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS7740G-6364 NoteBook Intel Core i5 430M(2.26GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

^^ this is the laptop I have currently I have...

Also I am hoping this is a easy fix since not to be rude but I heard alot of bad things about acer support and repairs and the such.

Mannyrue, May 6, 2010
  2. Mannyrue

Swarvey Moderator

From your spec's, you appear to have an ATi graphics chip. There's two main parts to this on a software level. One is the driver, the other is "control" software. In days past, there was an issue with ATi's "Catylist Control Center" which caused graphic artifacts and more annoyingly, a white square to be permanently superimposed over the top left corner of the screen.

This may or may not have been fixed, but my suggestion at this time would be to remove the Caylist Control Center temporarily (if it's installed) and see if that fixes your issue.

It's been a looooooooooooooooong time since I've seeen ATi software / hardware in action, so the above may or msay not be relevant.

Swarvey, May 6, 2010
Ask a Question