Strange RAM Problem Please help!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bishooman, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bishooman

bishooman

Hi All,
    i have the AA1 110 model and i tried to upgrade its ram by adding 512 533hz Samsung chip after that i tried to start the machine and i went to bios settings and i can see 1024 MB as total memory but when the machine tries to startup it gose to the first boot device and then hanges, i tried to boot from another hardisk/ usb cd rom/ usb floppy/ usb flash same problem boot, all boot devices are detectable but machine will not boot from any of them, so i decided to downgrade the RAM and go back to orginal state 512 MB and what happend is that the WANT BOOT AT ALL it will not post to bios and i am stuck here guys i have eitehr 1 GB and my devices will not boot no matter what operating system on it or 512 MB and no boot at all even no bios !
    i tried everythign nothing worked!

NOTE i tried to flash the bios using FN + Ecs this method is working on 1 GB setup and i can see the bios being flashed but it is not fixing the problem
    the Fn + Ecs is not working when i am on the 512 MB built in RAM

bishooman, Sep 28, 2008
  2. bishooman

bishooman

hey guys i think i damged my onborad ram cuz of that it is not posting without the chip on the slot, is there any way to disable the onborad memory ?

bishooman, Sep 28, 2008
  3. bishooman

bishooman

it is confirmed i used memtest-86 to check th momery and it is givving erros on memory slot 0
    so i really need to disable the onboard memory now
    regards,

bishooman, Sep 28, 2008
  4. bishooman

melhiore

Look at this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2869 and check your RAM is or is not on this list. It may be something with incompatibility...

melhiore, Sep 28, 2008
  5. bishooman

bishooman

no my RAM is not on the LIST
    below is my RAM details

512MB 2RX16 PC2-4200S-444-12-A3

[​IMG]

the problem is even if i remove the newlly installed chip now the system will not boot at like no RAM installed !!

bishooman, Sep 28, 2008
  6. bishooman

judeh101

My system came with 1 gig setup, the onboard ram chip is made by samsung, and the other one installed on my system is a samsung DDR2-667 512MB ram.

judeh101, Sep 28, 2008
  7. bishooman

kohnen

One of two things is likely:

(Most likely) You damaged the machine with an electrostatic discharge. Whenever you work with modern electronics, you must always make sure that you and the electronic equipment are at the same electrical potential. This is achieved by touching ground of whatever you're working on. If you don't, and the first thing you touch is some other signal, the static discharge destroys that signal. In this case, you've just bought yourself a brick. :-(

(Less likely) In the process of putting the memory in, you damaged the SO-DIMM socket so that two signals are shorting. In this case, a set of tweezers and a magnifying glass might let you fix the problem.

Good Luck!

kohnen, Sep 29, 2008
  8. bishooman

bishooman

maybe you are right about electrostatic discharge thing this is what i belive also, but what i am sure is the onborad ram dameged and i need to disable it.
    i wonder if completly desoldered the 4 chips onborad will this be enough to disable the onborad ram ??!!

bishooman, Sep 29, 2008
  9. bishooman

melhiore

I do not think so. I believe BIOS is testing this RAM before starting up the machine. W/o this RAM probably AA1 is not going to start at all...

melhiore, Sep 29, 2008
  10. bishooman

kohnen

You can give that a try, and I truly and sincerely wish you luck.

That said, if the AAO was damaged by ESD (Electro Static Discharge) then you would have to be REALLY lucky for the damage to have occurred to only the memory devices.

If it's behaving like the memory is damaged, take a good look at the socket - maybe that can be easily straightened out.

Good Luck!

kohnen, Sep 30, 2008
  11. bishooman

UncleDim

I confirm this.
    I tried to disable onboard RAM by cutting /CS line from one of the RAM chips and pulling it up to VCC (this makes all of onboard RAM unusable, because chips are working in parallel) -> no boot with any (512, 1024, 2048) SODIMM installed.

UncleDim, Oct 3, 2008
  12. bishooman

bishooman

So the bis should be modified and no hardware solution, i think we have to wait for acer then :(

bishooman, Oct 3, 2008
Ask a Question