Strange freeze with a custom kernel, every 24 hours

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dattaway, Dec 21, 2008.

1. dattaway

dattaway

I want to know if anyone else had this type of lockup as this seems unusual and I'm having a difficult time tracing it. My setup may be quite different from everyone else. I'm running Gentoo with a custom 2.6.27 kernel.

My AAO locks up after 24 hours of operation. Its strange, because its most likely to happen at around 24 hours of uptime give or take a few hours ALWAYS! Never one hour or twelve, but around one full day. Stack crash? It doesn't do a hard lockup as applications still run normally, but the keyboard, mouse, and wireless all shutdown.

I've had it happen several times when I happen to be typing or moving the mouse. Its like they keboard, mouse, and wireless start getting very slow in the period of several seconds. Applications still run, animated gifs don't miss a beat, but I can't ssh into the machine to stop whatever is going wrong. Its like the hardware interrupts are starting to be ignored. Load average is normal. Screen blanks in the usual timeout blanking time. Ctrl-Alt-SysReq magic key doesn't work and I can't sync the hard drive. No more hard drive activity at all. Its like hardware interrupts are complelty ignored.

I've done kernel troubleshooting before, but I can't understand what would cause the kernel to ignore hardware interrupts. This isn't an Acer thing I hope.

dattaway, Dec 21, 2008
  2. dattaway

Tamrac

This is very unusual indeed, therefore I would not assume it's an Acer thing. It's most likely the custom kernel.

Tamrac, Dec 21, 2008
Ask a Question