Strange Audio / Headphone Jack Problem

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by lordlouis, Feb 17, 2009.

1. lordlouis

lordlouis

I have read various instances on this forum of people losing sound in the left channel from the headphone socket but I have seen this issue manifest itself in a very strange way indeed. I have two sets of in-ear head phones which work perfectly well on other devices (ipod / phone etc) but when listening to audio through VLC only have sound in the left channel. Even stranger, I have a set of proper cup type headphones (same 3.5mm jack etc) which deliver sound through both channels in the same circumstances.

Could anyone suggest why this might happen and is there a possible cure, the headphones that work are much less portable! Thank you.

[EDIT] Forgot to say I'm running Linupus

lordlouis, Feb 17, 2009
  2. lordlouis

freddie

Hi. Just to say that I had similar problems with the headphone socket last night.

Connected to an audio amp, first there was no left hand sound, then after an hour all sound had gone and no amount of wriggling the plug would get it back

HOWEVER, a pair of headphones did work - but not without problems - like you had to push the plug in and then ease it out slightly to get both channels.

On checking I see that the left hand channel is fed by the tip of the plug - and my plugs seem to vary ever so slightly in proportion - not that that has ever affected any other devices where I have used either plug. I can only assume that the Aspire socket is not particularly well made and will not accept the variations.

BTW I searched for people losing sound and couldn't find the instances you refer to...

freddie, Mar 29, 2009
Ask a Question