Storage expansion SD doesn't automount at startup

Discussion in 'Linux' started by framanca, Aug 14, 2008.

1. framanca

framanca

Hi:

I have a, not really big problem, but a little hopeless. When I open the File Manager, although I have always the SD card in, at the start up too, I can't see the extra storage space. I have to change to advance mode, and then I can see, now if I turn back to standard mode I have the total capacity.

Does anybody have the same problem? Does anybody know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

framanca, Aug 14, 2008
  2. framanca

BrandonMB

This is the same problem as I mentioned in my other post. The odd part is that after doing an advanced mode, standard mode switch, the storage appears as expanded. I can put the AA1 to sleep and resume, and the memory remains expanded. I only lose the expansion when I boot the machine.

Thoughts? I had heard that there were some problems caused by a recent HAL upgrade. Could this be the issue?

BrandonMB, Aug 14, 2008
  3. framanca

suki22

I had/have the same issue. But, a did a recovery and after that it only happened like 2 or 4 times out of maybe 20. I didnt update my system with the live update, so maybe it is the HAL problem... Before i recovered my system i did te xfce panel tweak, and after that there was like no chance it was mounted at startup...

I like to know a solution as well, because i want to update my Linpus and do some other tweaks...

suki22, Aug 14, 2008
  4. framanca

suki22

Ok, sorry for double posting... But i little time has passed and thinks have changed:

Now the SD Card isnt mounted at startup, and no USB device is mounted automatically.
    This time i updated my System via the live update.

I think i now DEFINITELY know the initiator of the problem:
    I followed the advices in the "Linpus Linux - Modify your taskbar" How To, because i wanted to add a few thinks to my taskbar, like the trashbin. After a reboot the SD card wasnt mounted anymore.

But, i can manually mount the sd card via
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/home/
    and, after i did that, if i open my Thunar, change it to advaced mode, und back to simple mode, the regular message for the upgrade of the sd card pops up.
    The "upgrade sd card" tool on the File menu isnt avaliable before or after that.

But i dont know whats up with the USB devices problem... This one is even worse than the automount thing.

I already did a recovery today, and i configured my system the way i want it to be to do a image of my installation...
    I have no motivation to do a recovery once more...

Pls, someone has got to know a solution!!!

suki22, Aug 23, 2008
  5. framanca

A_I

After this, when I reboot it still is unmounted is any solution of it there :(

A_I, Aug 27, 2008
  6. framanca

rbil

Consider mounting that drive in /etc/fstab. That should mount it every time you bootup.

The drive type would be vfat.

sudo mount -a

will scan through your fstab file and remount all devices there without the need to reboot.

Cheers.

rbil, Aug 27, 2008
  7. framanca

annafil

experiencing the same problem of the SD not automounting at startup.

I trigger the automount of the SD and other devices by running

"killall Thunar"

from the terminal.

Then if I open a new File Manager session, it's all there again.

My guess is something's not initiliazing correctly and bootup, but I'm stumped at where to look!

annafil, Aug 27, 2008
  8. framanca

anz

I ve the same troubles - no expansion the memory (automounting the SD card in the left side slot). But when I start the "filemanager" (thunar) and enter in the location bar "/mnt/" (after that all other subdirectories will appear) and choose "home" (which has an blue colored icon), thunar crahes (dmesg: segmentation fault) - sounds like vodoo.
    After restarting thunar the expanded memory appears, the SD is mounted. The /etc/mtab has entries about the mounting - and there is a non empty file /media/.hal-mtab (with the mounting info) and the device is mounted at the created mount point /media/disk/

anz, Aug 28, 2008
  9. framanca

annafil

rbil: I don't think mounting the expansion SD via fstab would work - it's meant to be controllable from the file manager so that you can still remove it, upgrade the storage and so on. I think mounting via fstab wouldn't allow the File Manager to control it, would it?

annafil, Aug 28, 2008
  10. framanca

A_I

In my case the problem was modified taskbar, I removed everything I added there and after that both SD and USB work perfectly.

But stil WTF? why change on taskbar affecting mounting?

A_I, Aug 28, 2008
  11. framanca

annafil

Any chance you remember what you had on the taskbar? I modified mine too

My change were:

cpu monitor
    trash
    workspace switcher
    menu
    (removed home, removed keyboard switcher)

annafil, Aug 28, 2008
  12. framanca

annafil

Fixed mine!! :p

Here's what I did:

Open /home/user/.config/xfce4/panel/panel.xml in a text editor.

Look for the line:

Code:
    <item name="thunar-tpa" id="12196613683"/>
    Your ID may be different.

Delete it.

I don't know what it does, I certainly didn't add it, but now that it's gone automount at bootup works as expected.

annafil, Aug 28, 2008
  13. framanca

anz

great - I modified the xfce4-panel - just added following applications:
    workspace viewer (pager)
    trash (! thunar-tpa !)

After removing the trash from the panel and rebooting, storage expansion works again!
    Is it possible, that any thunar application linked to the panel inhibits automounting the SD card in the left slot?

btw. you can remove the icons form the panel per drag&drop after typing in the terminal
    Code:
    xfce4-panel -a

Thanks alot, Dear annafil!!!

anz, Aug 28, 2008
  14. framanca

annafil

ooooooh the Trash!!! that's what that was! :)

I think what happens is themodifier thunar doesn't handle the trash properly, and maybe it crashes when initializing the trash applet.

or something to that effect :)

annafil, Aug 28, 2008
  15. framanca

suki22

Yep, thx annafil :)

The only thing i can think of is that thunar in some way is runned in the background during the trash applet initialization.
    That crashes some processes that handle the storage expension. Maybe because the trash files that are deleted from the SD card are handled an other way than files from the internal SSD...

Whatever.
    I personally want to have the trash applet in the panel.
    Would be awesome if someone could tweak a little bit here and a little bit there and it works with the applet ;) Thx in advance!

@ A_1
    I liked your avatar, so i copied it into my profile :)

suki22, Aug 30, 2008
  16. framanca

maxmad

Hi, @all,
    I am having this problem with usb, card reader and expansion card.
    Tried "killall Thunar" and worked, but when I opened "package manager" all removable storage units got disconnected... :?:
    Seems that rbil posted another way, but I am still padawan :oops: and dont know where to put it (run terminal and just tipe?), or what is vfat...but it must be done each time, too (right?).

Anyway, I hope someone finds a lasting solution.

bye

maxmad, Sep 27, 2008
  17. framanca

willie

My daughter has the same problem with mandriva 2009 spring with KDE4.2. Mandy see's the card but i must mount it.
    I wan't it to be mounted on boot because i want to place /home on it, just like i have on a eeepc 701.

willie, Jun 4, 2009
  18. framanca

Jaycb

The trashcan bug is quite well known. Moving the trash can onto the bottom panel kills automounting of USB and SD slot every time. Couldn't tell you why but it was easy enough to fix permanently. I can't remember the exact thread but I did a search on these forums and found a thread on USB drives not auto-mounting and tried the tip, which fixed the bug permanently. It involved opening a terminal and typing a few things but if I could do it anyone can. The trash can is now happily on the panel and behaving itself, although for some reason if you hover over it with the cursor it always says it's full even if empty - I can live with that though.

Jaycb, Jun 5, 2009
Ask a Question