stop sign on top of apple

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Major Kong, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Major Kong

Major Kong

I am so out of luck here; I managed to get past my boot problems somehow on the iAtkos 5 and then this. After a couple of minutes of the spinning bars on the opening apple screen I see this:
    [attachment=0:2unbvb66]IMG_0078.jpg[/attachment:2unbvb66]

What gives?

Major Kong, Dec 1, 2008
  2. Major Kong

rory

this is when your install is screwed. cant remember the exact problem, might be worth a look on insanelymac.com

rory, Dec 1, 2008
  3. Major Kong

brgroup

Like Rory says above, you may have to have to reinstall.. :sad:

This is usually a "Still Waiting For Root device" error..Can you verify it by re-booting "-v" at the Darwin prompt? If it is, then make sure you chose the correct chipset and ACPI settings - ALSO! did you upgrade your bios to at least 3305?

If it freezes at a kernel panic, and you are using the vanilla kernel, be sure to boot up with the "cpus=1 -v" flags then edit the apple.boot.plist and add the cpus=1 flag so you don't have to keep re-entering that flag at bootime..or reinstall using toh 9.2.2 or voodoo kernel that doesn't require a dual core to run..Remember, voodoo is in RC1 stage so there could be weird panics, but at least you'll get booted up..

I don't know about iAtkos v5, but there's a very complete tutorial and user thread for iAtkos v4i on the AAO with a 1.8" Pata or 2.5" Sata hard drive here: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1505 - You may have already followed that tutorial, I dunno..

If you have a SSD drive, look at people's signatures to see what equipment people are running osx86 and what solutions may apply to your install..consider converting from ssd to the ZIF connector and get a 1.8" drive for more storage..

I've installed iAtkos v4i on three AAO's so far and have had zero problems following the tutorial step by step..Like Rory also said above, you can also go to insanelymac and use the excellent Kalyway 10.5.2 step to 10.5.5 tutorial here:
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129774&st=0

These should get you past any problems..

brgroup, Dec 2, 2008
  4. Major Kong

Major Kong

That was one serious answer! Thanks!

I have so far installed iAtkos 4 and 4i several times on my machine before and that went all very well. However, I had my machine sent in for repairs the other day and when it got back they had reflashed the BIOS for me. From what I can tell is my BIOS version 3307a, a version that was hitherto unknown to me.

It was after I got it back that I started fiddling with iAtkos 5 and my troubles began. I will try your tips ASAP and post my results here.

'Till later!

Major Kong, Dec 2, 2008
  5. Major Kong

Major Kong

It turned out my machine booted from the hard disk that I thought I had erased. The sign was just a result of a boot going awry. Sorry to have bothered you all.

Major Kong, Dec 3, 2008
Ask a Question