Still having LiveUpdate trouble? Try this...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mrpostman, Mar 20, 2010.

1. mrpostman

mrpostman

After months and months of not being able to run live update (I always got the "make sure you are connected to the internet" error), following so many solutions online to try and fix the problem (to no avail at all!)

I have discovered how to fix my problems myself by clicking around a bit.

First I went to the directory /var/cache/online-updater/

I noticed a shell script for the online updater in this directory (amongst others). I originally tried to install that.

Once I'd installed that shell, I re-booted, and tried Live Update again - This returned an error regarding the server being too busy and to try again later (different error to what I'd always received in the past)

I then went back to the /var/cache/online-updater/ directory and ran the shell script for update_info_to_server

rebooted again, then I was able to fully update my Aspire 1 with no problems what so ever :)

I hope I'm not behind the times and I can actually help someone by posting this!

the only problem I have now, is not being able to view a file telling me my update history. If any one has any idea, let me know :)

mrpostman, Mar 20, 2010
  2. mrpostman

ajpateman

I still have LiveUpdate problems, and hope someone out there can help me. I am new to Linux.
    When I click on Update History, I get the error: 'The updates list cannot be retrieved'.
    When I click on update, everything seems to run OK, and I get Thai Language (180021) and US keboard patch (180029). I don't install these. However, it must be over 6 months since I have received any other updates, and am wondering if I am missing something.
    Running LiveUpdate from Terminal shows that I appear to connect OK, and new versions of 180021 and 180029 appear on my disc, but I see error messages:
    At the start: ' audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused ' three times
    And later: ' (onlineupdate:12161): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_progress_bar_set_fraction: assertion `GTK_IS_PROGRESS_BAR (pbar)' failed ' many times.

These messages also appear at various times later in the log.

Can any experts out there help me?

Thanks
    Tony

ajpateman, Jul 10, 2010
  3. mrpostman

T_Hobbit

Which is the actual LiveUpdate Server to connet to?

T_Hobbit, Aug 25, 2010
  4. mrpostman

chazzmor

I don't have problems running Live Update, but I haven't received ANY kind of updates from Acer in about a year. Hasn't there been any new versions of Linpus Lite since the one that came with my Acer Aspire One in 2008? I have version 1.0.5. When ever I check live update I get a message that my netbook is up to date. I just find that hard to believe.

chazzmor, Sep 18, 2010
  5. mrpostman

withpaperwings

Me neither.

Live Update doesn't seem to have anything to update, ever!

Is there a reason for this?

withpaperwings, Sep 18, 2010
  6. mrpostman

mxb

Think yourself lucky !

Having not tried Live Update for over a year as I was scared off by other people's bad experiences, I have just run it.

What a mistake !!!!

I had a problem to begin with, as I haven't used my AA1 for awhile due to hospitalisation.

When I tried switching it on nothing happened ?

I assumed a flat battery so connected it to the mains power. Eventually the orange power light came on and then I could boot it up ok. Only problem is after awhile the orange power light starts a slow flash on and off, and it doesn't charge the battery which remains dead ?

So I thought I would try a Live Update.

I downloaded the 5 updates shown;
    180085 - Power Center
    180048 - Network Manager
    180084 - Acer Communication Suite
    180083 - --------------"----------------
    180086 - -------------"----------------

Last night after they installed, I couldn't connect wirelessly, even though I rebooted after the installation. I had to dig out my old cable and connect via that.

Also my Firefox browser is now only half working !
    All my existing Bookmarks are gone and it refuses to Bookmark anything again.
    It refuses to go to the Home page on start up, I have to keep typing that in manually
    The Back, Forward, Refresh & Stop buttons are permanently greyed out so don't work.
    The address in the address bar doesn't update when you go to another website

All this after the Live Update !!! :x

Unfortunately all those updates are marked "Critical" so when you select one the "Remove" button is greyed out so they can't be easily removed.......( anyone know another way of successfully removing them ? )

My advice to you is "if it works don't try and fix it !!"

I guess Acer aren't bothered with customers Linux problems now they have moved on ???

mxb, Oct 3, 2010
  7. mrpostman

Cushie

If you search 'Linpus' you'll find Linpus 1.3 and 1.4. I note 1.3 is available to download,=. Has anyone tried these? Any comments?

Cushie, Nov 7, 2010
  8. mrpostman

finnbakk

No they aren't. Acer have never cared about their Linpus users. I haven't seen any support from them on this OS. Seems like Acer don't care about their reputation at all.

finnbakk, Dec 7, 2010
Ask a Question