Sticky WiFi Switch and Cosmetic Blemishes - Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Markarian, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Markarian

Markarian

Okay, just got a Brown 160GB Six-Cell from NewEgg, but it was labeled as a 120GB. Aside from the excruciating frustration of not being able to maintain an Ad-Hoc network with my iPhone (no wireless problems otherwise), I've really liked the Aspire one.

I have to forewarn I'm a little OCD about my stuff. Make it a LOT OCD about my stuff. I baby it, I take extra good care of it and freak out if so much as a tiny scratch appears. It's a little unhealthy, but I get killer bids whenever I resell my stuff.

All this aside, I noticed some tiny divots on the top of my lid (as if someone had poked it with a thumbtack or pin). You can see them when they catch the light. I want to know if anyone else has experienced the same thing. Got one on my trackpad. Can't really see it but definitely feel it, like there's a speck of something there.

One of the issues I've been worried about is the front-mounted WiFi soft switch. Now I know these things aren't terribly useful in the first place, but mine felt a little sticky and hard to switch. Then I played with another AA1 and I discovered it's apparently a spring-loaded, momentary contact switch. Well damn. The switch works correctly, but it's so stiff I have to manually push it back into position. No spring-action.

I'm just curious if these little build-quality quirks are common in the AA1 and if I should send mine back or call Acer (about the switch, I know they won't care about the little nicks on the lid) or just let it go. My big quandary is that the Aspire One on Newegg seems to be the ONLY Brown one with a six-cell battery sold in the US (all other SKUs with those two traits seem to be French-Canadian). Now Newegg is out and one of the big reasons I bought the AA1 is that it was a netbook that came in my favorite color (which is rare for any tech product, except the Zune). Also, it was sold and marked as a 120GB, but it seems Acer messed up and threw a 160GB in there by mistake, so I got the bigger hard drive for free.

Any thoughts? Thanks again for all your help.

PS - Warning, that black bezel is a scratch magnet!

Markarian, Dec 16, 2008
Ask a Question