Step-by-Step - Windows sp2 , on a External Hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mazade, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazade

mazade

Re: Step-by-Step?

Sorry about not being abl to give you a step-by-step, I don't have the One availabe to me anymore.. but I am familiar enough with it to give you some general guidelines...
    You actually wouldn't need to wipe linpus from the internal SSD if you're just going to end up putting XP on an external HDD.. there's a section in the bios that allows you to choose what device you want to boot from and if you had an external HDD plugged and running when you start up your One, it will show up in the list of devices from which to boot. You would simply need to "move" that external HDD device to the top of the list and then your One would ignore the internal SSD and linpus OS entirely, so long as your external HDD was hooked up.
    To get into the bios hit(or keep tapping) F10 (i think) on the first screen until it gets you to the basic blue interface and begin navigating form there... not much to worry about, the One's bios is quite simple.. at least there's not that much that you can mess with that will cause too big of problems.
    Now, whether or not you're familiar with installing Xp to a blank drive... that could make things all the more interesting.
    I'd figure you'd need either an external usb cd/dvd drive for an XP cd... or a dos bootable USB drive(recommend looking for the HP bootable usb utility) with the XP install files copied onto it.

mazade, Aug 11, 2008
  2. mazade

Sid

Re: Step-by-Step?

Not f10 but f12.

Sid, Aug 11, 2008
  3. mazade

loopyoyo

loopyoyo, Aug 14, 2008
Ask a Question