Starup - getting rid of unwanted apps

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ChrisJBrady, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

AAO 523 with 250GB HD - Win 7 Starter.

Please does anyone know how to stop programs / apps starting up automatically - and soaking up the CPU - after a clean reboot?

The Startup folder is empty for all users: MySelf, Admin, Default.

But a number of apps. seem to want to start up anyway like BBC iPlayer, Winamp Agent, MyWinLocker, OnDemand 4 (or whatever), and NHC Sound Recorder - to name some. And there's a whole bunch of *.exe files listed in Task Manager that do not belong to the OS Windows 7 Starter.

Many thanks.

ChrisJBrady, Apr 5, 2011
  2. ChrisJBrady

donec

Glary Utilities from....
    http://www.glaryutilities.com/
    Has a very good startup control module. You can disable any program that starts when you start your computer without having to remove the program so if disabling the program causes a problem you just enable it and your good. If it doesn't cause a problem when you disable it then use the computer like that for a while to make sure it is not needed then remove the program. You can also delay when a program starts so if you have something you know you want but not when you first startup then you set it for say 90 seconds and it's starting will not interfere with the other programs. Oh! did I mention that it is free and works with all Windows versions?

donec, Apr 5, 2011
  3. ChrisJBrady

Forone

There are several ways to control startup executables and processes, but I've never found a source as good as BlackViper for advising on what you can get rid of - I've used and can recommend the XP advice for several years now, but you'll google for yourself to confirm how reliable he is for Windows 7. Generally, I follow the column of his page that says "safe" except where I know or think I might be using something in it - never a problem so far:

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/bl ... gurations/

Forone, Apr 5, 2011
  4. ChrisJBrady

Swarvey Moderator

Or if you know exactly what you want to disable, click Start then Run (or hold the Windows key + R), clear the box, type in "MSCONFIG" without the " marks, press enter. Move over to the Startup tab and remove the tick from beside the programs you want to disable.

Swarvey, Apr 6, 2011
Ask a Question