Standard size of a laptop

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by vinaya, Mar 3, 2016.

1. vinaya

vinaya

I use a 14 inch display screen. My brother has 17 inch display screen. What is the standard size of a laptop? How big is laptop from a notebook?

vinaya, Mar 3, 2016
  2. vinaya

Delibrythe

The most popular size is the 14-15". My Dell laptop is the 15.6", but I also have an older Asus that is 17". When I bought the Asus I had wanted it for gaming as well and was not going to carry it around anywhere so the larger screen worked for me. Plus, I liked having the full number pad on the right side of the keyboard, just like a desktop. Most of the smaller laptops don't have the additional number pad due to lack of space.

I really think it comes down to preference and what your are going to be using it for. If I was working on it a lot or doing gaming, I wouldn't want to be staring at a smaller screen. But the 11-13" laptops are nice for portability and have been gaining popularity over the years.

Funny enough, I don't use either of the screens or keyboards on my laptops and have them both hooked up to my HDTV lol! :p I use a wireless keyboard and mouse and have gotten used to viewing my laptop display from my large tv that I think I would be squinting if I had to just use them directly.

Delibrythe, Mar 3, 2016
  3. vinaya

Sefie

I have a 15.6'' one, I used to have a bigger one (Toshiba Satellite), it's older than my current one. It seems as the time goes by laptops get thinner, smaller and plain lighter in general :) You will notice this trend specially with laptops, not so much with mobiles who seem to be going bigger. The older I get the more I struggle understanding people :p

Sefie, Mar 3, 2016
  4. vinaya

Pablo Diaz

It all depends on what the laptop's main purpose is. If it's an all around web-browsing laptop that doesn't require that many resources, it could be about 13 to 14 inches. If it's a hardcore gaming laptop it'll probably be about 17 inches. And if portability is it's biggest feature it most certainly will be about 12 or maybe 13 inches. It depends, there's no "standard" laptop size.

Pablo Diaz, Mar 3, 2016
  5. vinaya

Krissttina Isobe

I like the 15-17" laptops that I have seen at Walmart. I don't have a laptop yet and only use
    a netbook borrow that's 12" and is small, but free to use, so I bear with it. When I go window
    shopping I see all the different sizes for laptops and like the 15-17". Just saw a commercial
    for the new Dell laptop. Like what Deliblythe said laptops are getting thinner and still big if
    you like the bigger ones.

Krissttina Isobe, Mar 4, 2016
  6. vinaya

djtech

A 15.6 inch laptop is pretty standard. I have a 17 inch screen and it looks great but my laptop looks big compared to other standard ones.

djtech, Mar 4, 2016
  7. vinaya

Corzhens

I think my husband would like the 17-inch monitor because he dabbles in video editing. However, I'm sure he wouldn't agree because the portability of a big laptop would be in question. It is still convenient to have the 14-inch or even the 15-inch but the 17-inch is oversized already. And as you said it yourself @vinaya, the 12-inch laptops are great in portability. I also had wanted the smaller notebook but our office issued me the 14-inch monitor.

Corzhens, Mar 4, 2016
  8. vinaya

roger1003

I don't think a 17-inch laptop is good. If you just want to have play video games with a big screen, go with a desktop. Once laptops lose its portability, then it's better not to buy a laptop at all.

roger1003, Mar 19, 2016
  9. vinaya

spence88

Laptop screen sizes range from 10.1 to 18.4 inches. In my opinion, the sweet spot is 14 inches. It's big enough to watch videos, and at the same time, small enough to be carried around. If you're gaming, however, I suggest a screen size not lower than 15.6 inches.

Just a tip, if you're not using your laptop for gaming or video editing, any laptop with a screen larger than 15.6 inches is not good. Take it from my experience. I have an ASUS G75VW laptop. Its screen size is 17.3 inches. This monster is meant to rest on my table or room. I don't try lugging it around. It is so heavy!

spence88, Mar 23, 2016
  10. vinaya

SirJoe

A laptop with a 17" screen might seem like a good idea but it ends up not being so portable. There is a price to pay for that extra size, but if you don't have to carry it around too often it can really give a different view on laptops.

SirJoe, Mar 25, 2016
  11. vinaya

IcyBC

Personally, I like to have the 15" laptop because the bigger the screen the better it is for my poor eye sight, but it is also more expensive. I am now settled on a 13" screen. It is light and very portable. I just have to increase the fonts.

IcyBC, Mar 26, 2016
Ask a Question