SSDs slower than harddrives

Discussion in 'Storage' started by bjlockie, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bjlockie

bjlockie

I've been reading some old forecasts and SSDs where supposed to be faster than hard drives,
    So what happened that the're not?

bjlockie, Oct 21, 2008
  2. bjlockie

scottro

Re: SSDs slower he harddrives

I have never really thoroughly looked into this, but from VERY casual googling....

The high end SSD drives are faster, but also very expensive. Acer, Asus, and probably Dell (as well as any others using them in netbooks), at least for the sizes larger than 4 GB, user lower end SSD's to keep the price down.

Now---do NOT take what is written above as definite fact. Again, this was gotten from casual googling so may well be wrong.

FWIW, the early Asus machines, with the 2 and 4 GB SSDs didn't get complaints about slowness--then, when they started shipping the ones with larger SSDs, the comments began about the speed.

That's one reason you see so many posts about changing the SSD that comes with the machine.

scottro, Oct 21, 2008
  3. bjlockie

KjeldOlesen

Re: SSDs slower he harddrives

Not all SSDs are equal. While all do well at random read, not all do well at random write. You should really read this test from end to end http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/in ... i=3403&p=8 and you will see that at least the future of SSDs looks bright :)

Kjeld

KjeldOlesen, Oct 23, 2008
Ask a Question