SSD unbearably slow under XP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techie, Jul 10, 2008.

1. techie

ineedaname

I know its the WRITE speed that is slowing it down. U were comparing 2 the eeepc and was bashing the ssd so I wanted to see if it was true. I was just stating that the read speeds are better than the eeepc. I asked u where you got the info on the write speeds and u didn't answer the question.

ineedaname, Jul 21, 2008
  2. techie

Guest Guest

GOOD NEWS !! IT'S MUCH FASTER NOW UNDER XP

I have the same problem when i first intall xp on my aspire one when i format the drive with NTSF.
    I tried format the drive with FAT, then..... it's much faster now! the only thing is XP booting time is still not very fast

Guest, Jul 22, 2008
  3. techie

a7temi

Hi guys

Last night i install winxp to aspire. I take off system restore, swap file and i install ram drive there i places windows temps, internet temporary files and firefox profile. Now internet surfing is like a turbo mode. Only
    bad think is mozilla bookmarks which is always empty, but this is sublaptop. It takes about 45 sec to boot and 20 sec to shutdown.

a7temi, Jul 22, 2008
  4. techie

ineedaname

So I got ATTO bench program and tested the main SSD and the results show it gets 15MB/s write speeds. Here's a screenie 4 all u guys.
    Funny thing is that my SDHC i've been using as a Paging/Temp drive isn't actually much faster.

ineedaname, Jul 22, 2008
  5. techie

techie

A few more things to assist in speeding things up.

First...seems there are two types of SSD..the Samsung P-SSD1800 and an Intel SSD (check under device manager).
    The Intel SSD seems to be even slower that the Samsung version so experiences may vary.

Next, if you have enough memory install RRamdisk and assign any Temporay Internet Files or TEMP/TMP variables to it....this speeds up IE.

Also download TweakUI and select not to run scandisk when idle...that's the last thing you need with an SSD.

techie, Jul 24, 2008
  6. techie

vulcanoid

vulcanoid, Jul 25, 2008
  7. techie

ronmexico

I find either drivers to be the same (Acer or MSI) both will still stall on ocassion but I find it to be a very usable machine under XP although I do have the PSSD-1800 drive so...

EDIT* Upon further use I have noticed a big difference in performance under XP with the MSI drivers very useable experience under XP I am very happy! Performance is more than adequate

ronmexico, Jul 25, 2008
Ask a Question