SSD not being recognized in BIOS?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by svensko, Sep 21, 2008.

1. svensko

svensko

Tried installing Ubuntu on my Acer with Ext2 FS. I was forced to do a hard reboot due to it freezing and then i tried to go in and fsck it. After this I decided to give Arch a try. It complained about not being able to mount /dev/sda1. I then gave Fedora a try. Same issue. Now whenever I boot I don't even see anything listed under USB FDD (I assume this is where the SDD would be?). fdisk -l also displays a flash drive as being /dev/sda1. Am i screwed? :(

svensko, Sep 21, 2008
  2. svensko

svensko

Bump... Any ideas?

svensko, Sep 22, 2008
  3. svensko

RockDoctor

I've got an idea, but as my AA1 has the 120GB HDD, it may not be valid. This assumes your SSD is /dev/sda.

1. Boot Ubuntu (or your favorite distro) from a USB stick.
    2. Run
    fdisk /dev/sda
    as root. Delete sda1. Write this change to /dev/sda.
    3. Run
    fdisk /dev/sda
    as root, Create sda1. Write this change to /dev/sda.
    4. Run
    mke2fs /dev/sda1
    as root to create an ext2 filesystem on /dev/sda1

It's possible that you could get by with step #1 followed by step #4. It's also possible (and even likely) that you could get by with steps #1, #2, and #3. It's also possible that none of the above will work.

RockDoctor, Sep 22, 2008
  4. svensko

svensko

Bios isn't recognizing the drive at all... F12 brings up the only bootable device as being the netinstaller(I think?). If I do anything to /dev/sda1, I'm actually doing things to my flash drive that I am booting arch linux from...

svensko, Sep 24, 2008
  5. svensko

svensko

One last bump. :p

svensko, Sep 29, 2008
  6. svensko

svensko

I tried my One again tonight and it recognized the SSD. I tried to install Arch on it via the thumbdrive. I partitioned/formatted it with fdisk then tried to install onto it but the mounting failed. I then tried mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda and it formatted it again. Now when I attempted to set mount points it gave me the option of both the SDD and thumb drive but then only actually allowed me to select the thumb drive. :x

I'm not sure what else to try. Right now it isn't being recognized once again. It should be noted that between the last time it didn't recognize the drive and the time it recognized tonight, I hadn't done anything to it. I'm thinking I should try a liveCD with something like gparted on it. Any ideas?

svensko, Sep 29, 2008
  7. svensko

pmstc

try not failing so hard

pmstc, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question