SSD life span?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Ryan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan

I had search on the forum and google but found too many results to sift through so I'll ask here, what is the likely life span of the AAO's SSD?

Ryan, Aug 25, 2008
  2. Ryan

qasar.es

qasar.es, Aug 26, 2008
  3. Ryan

Sid

Upgrade the ram and turn off the swap file, send the log files ram. That will extend the life a bit :)

Buy a three year guarantee.

Sid, Aug 26, 2008
  4. Ryan

gbee

It should be pointed out that the figure of 3 years represents full time use e.g. Desktop left on through normal office hours or 24 hours a day. I imagine anyone using the One as a netbook (as opposed to treating it like a desktop computer) will get at least half that again, if not a total of 5/6 years.

Even replacing the SSD every 3 years wouldn't be too bad. I imagine in 3 years that an 8Gb SSD will be under £20, in 5 years you'll have bought the 10th generation One already.

In real terms you don't need to worry about the SSD lifespan, you'll have moved on before it becomes an issue.

gbee, Aug 26, 2008
  5. Ryan

rbil

I wish you'd quit suggesting that more RAM is necessary to prevent writing to swap. (and with Linux it isn't a "swapfile" unless purposely set up as such.) I have the standard 512MB RAM, running Linpus, closing case to sleep more often then not and YET TO WRITE TO SWAP.

Cheers.

rbil, Aug 27, 2008
  6. Ryan

Sid

LOL
    Just so you know, I don't have stocks in memory companies.

Do you know as fact that the OP will not load memory intensive apps?
    Is there a certainty that the OP will run a clone of your system - unlikely.

I agree with you, Linux and most other Unix related systems usually use a whole partition for swapping. However, swap files can be used, and are just as fast as swap partitions. I understand that the default config' of Linpus uses a partition.

Without knowing possible memory use, I doubt that anyone would suggest that someone should turn off the swap facility (file/partition) if they only have 512mb of ram. Running out of swap is certainly not pleasant (a crash). The key point was to avoid writing to the SSD to extend use, the post may not be exhaustive but it does offer an answer. Memory is also inexpensive, and it is not that hard to fit, the extra 1gig provides more breathing space if the OP's system wants to use it. And turning off the swap guarantees that swap writes will not happen on the SSD.

Info for others on swapping:

http://www.linux.com/feature/121916

BTW On an open forum all suggestions are available, but we all know that we have choice what we read.
    cheers.

Sid, Aug 27, 2008
Ask a Question