SSD is UDMA 4 under windows

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by rscutaru, Jul 10, 2008.

1. rscutaru

rscutaru

I don't understand why its running UDMA 4, should it not be more then that. And also the SSD seems very slow under windows. Does anyone know if this is the norm?

[​IMG]

rscutaru, Jul 10, 2008
  2. rscutaru

Duke

I don't know about the other stuff but 1 GB RAM is highly recommended when running XP and the write/read rates of the SDD is fairly slow at 7,7/26,4 MB/s - only 50% of a ordinary 2.5" HDD.

Duke, Jul 10, 2008
  3. rscutaru

rscutaru

Thanks for the response I also took a screen of what I got for the read write rates. I did the ram upgrade I'm at 1.5gb now. :D

[​IMG]

rscutaru, Jul 10, 2008
  4. rscutaru

bEtrayEr

Hello,
    which driver do you use for UDMA 4 Mode?
    My windows installation is unusable.
    I only get PIO Mode and 1,4 MB/sec read speed.

Thx

bEtrayEr, Jul 17, 2008
  5. rscutaru

Le Tigre

is udma4 not more than enough?

i mean its not a sata / raid 4 controller, thats 4 sure... and
    udma should give us up to 66mbs r/w (please correct if
    wrong)

using several upgrades and pimps im still hating the
    0,7 - 7mbs writing speeds (reading is probably ok with
    25-35, but as soon as xp is kinda writing something to
    disk, the speed suffers incredibly)

so the litle thing is fine with cpu usage (usually at
    20% while it is not speedy enough to write - main speed
    loss for me at the moment...)

Le Tigre, Jul 17, 2008
  6. rscutaru

rscutaru

I agree with you, at the time I posted this I was a bit surprised to see udma 4 thats all. I havent used udma 4 in years. All my computers have udma5 all the way up to sata 2. On the other hand is there a sata pinout on the board? I could solder my own port and have a sata drive.

rscutaru, Jul 17, 2008
  7. rscutaru

Le Tigre

no, havent seen one... but: the hardware monitor shows 2 ide/ata ports.

is thats the way its got to be (one for reading / one writing...) or is there a hidden one for the hdd
    that the other versions will have?

but the bios is showing two ide`s as well isnt it? so it should be possible to solder a second drive?!

Le Tigre, Jul 18, 2008
  8. rscutaru

rockman

I'm not 100% sure, but the safest bet is that UDMA 4 must be the highest possible for the embedded SD. After all, no SDs can even reach UDMA 4 speed these days, they will always be slower, although there are higher quality SDs that are faster than the Aspire One embedded SD.

However, this is why someone is eager to risk, work, and pay to substitute the SD with a Compact Flash using an adapter. [http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59&st=0&sk=t&sd=a]
    There are Compact Flash memories which can now get to dual channel UDMA 5, PIO mode 6, and MDMA 4, with a generous internal speed limit of 300x or even 350x when the newest type will come out (that will be 52 Mb/s read, 47 Mb/s write).
    Note that most of these professional high speed memories also have integrated ECC which I don't think SDs can have.

The last specifications of the Compact Flash standard allow for even higher speed, it's clearly a matter of time before they get to FAST hard drive speeds.
    I would even go for a small 4gb compact flash if it will have such speeds. After all, data stays on external HD, and a custom linux installs only have the software you want, never going beyond the 2gb limit. Upgrade RAM to 1 -1,5 Gb and you can go swap-less to increase storage capacity.

rockman, Jul 19, 2008
  9. rscutaru

ProDigit

maybe trying to install Windows on a CF reader or Sandisk Extreme III card will go faster?

ProDigit, Jul 19, 2008
  10. rscutaru

Le Tigre

that - by the way is not comp. correct :) just read, mtron came up with 120 read / 100 write... but, i guess one could buy the aao for a whole class for the price of that :)

there is a post about installing it to cf. it says - yes: faster! much faster. but you shoul consider, using sandisk extreme IV or transcend with at least 266x (san disk is probably best, because it is (afaik) the only one with extreme fast read AND write speeds (they should be the same)

by the way: you linux guys: did you know, that linux has special file systems for flash?! yust read that... (instead of preparing my exams, might be a way of "fleeing from the need to study")

JFFS2
    YAFFS

dont know, if you wuold have to compile your kernel, to support it nativly, but it "should" speed things up... but then again - i forgot - you dont need that :)

Le Tigre, Jul 19, 2008
Ask a Question