SSD is still exorbitant

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Corzhens, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

We are greatly in need of a new storage for archiving because our 1 TB of HDD is already almost full. And since my husband wanted to have a taste of the new technology, i.e. SSD, I had requested for some quotations. Gee, the SSD costs 50% more than the HDD of the same size. Besides, there is no SSD with 1 TB in size (as per the quotation sent to me). The vendor is recommending a 2 TB HDD for our need so I guess we are back to the good old HDD for archiving storage.

Corzhens, Oct 6, 2016
  2. Corzhens

Vash

Since you said your 1TB is already full, to get the right size you want, you need something bigger. As you have already pointed out yourself, SSD is more expensive. Especially at larger capacity. So if the budget is an issue, SSD is not an option if you want it for storage to replace your 1TB.

If you plan to use it as a storage device, then SSD won't benefit you as much as if you use it as your primary hard drive with operating system and programs installed on it. If you want to have a taste of the new technology, you should get a SSD for your OS drive. Then get a 2TB or bigger for your external storage device.

I have used SSD both as primary and external. While the external SSD storage does have its benefits, it is only during transferring of large files. Do you transfer a lot of huge files very frequently?

Vash, Oct 6, 2016
  3. Corzhens

remnant

SSDs are excellent for read and write speeds but command a premium price and come with a capacity of 1TB. An alternative is mechanical hard discs which are affordable but they are fairly slow though they come with larger storage capacities. The way out is to use hybrid drives which combine the efficiency of SSDs and the affordability as well as the capacity of mechanical drives.

remnant, Oct 9, 2016
  4. Corzhens

Fuzyon

Why do you want an SSD for archiving files? You will not get the full advantages of its high read/write speeds, you're better off just buying a 2 TB HDD for all your files then a 256GB SSD for your OS and most used applications. SSDs are pretty cheap nowadays for the performance they put out, in a few years I imagine HDDs will be obsolete.

Fuzyon, Oct 9, 2016
  5. Corzhens

Aree Wongwanlee

Of course, an SSD costs more than an HDD. One, it's built totally with memory. There are no moving parts. Two, the technology is still new. Give it some time and when it becomes more popular, it will enjoy economies of scale and the price will come down. When the first HDD came out, it was horribly expensive, too.

As some of the others have already mentioned, don't use an SSD to store archive files. It's meant for the operating system so that you can get things up and running faster. Store archive file in the HDD. That's how most people do it.

Seriously, I don't think you need another HDD. 1Tb is a lot of space. Go through your old files. I am sure there are lots which you can delete. The ones which you still want to keep but have not used for a long time can be uploaded to cloud devices. Upload to two cloud devices if you want double security. When you have done the housekeeping, you should find plenty of free space on your HDD.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 10, 2016
Ask a Question