ssd - cf mod: sandisk extreme IV issues..

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by goremek, Jan 18, 2009.

1. goremek

goremek

i have performed the ssd-cf card hack in my aao (16gb ssd, 1gb ram, linpus version). as for the card i purchased, i chose the fastest cf card currently available, the Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB card. (i saw the 350x from a-data, but i haven't seen a single test that confirms the r/w speeds) it was purchased from a reputable dealer, still sealed in factory blister packing.

once the physical hack was completed, i moved on to the software side of things. i tried the tutorial on the eee blog on how to use a flash drive to install xp (using ntfs). i followed the instructions to the t, and i kept getting the same result: a blinking cursor. i even had a friend perform the same tutorial on my computer, just in case i screwed something up.. he got the same thing. thinking it was a change in a software version or something, we went chimp on it and used gParted to create 2 partitions on the disk (making sure the larger partition was listed *active*). once completed, we copied the setup files (in entirety) to the smaller partition, then booted from a flash drive- and from a command prompt, started the installation. everything appeared to be going perfectly. (and copying incredibly fast, as well) once all files were copied and windows rebooted to start the next installation phase, all we got was the frickin' blinking cursor. we tried this using both ntfs AND again using fat32. same result.

when i went into the bios menu, under disks it listed "none". however, when in the boot order menu, the sandisk was recognized. my friend had a pny 266x udma 4gb card sitting around, so we popped it in on a hunch and it was read in both the bios menu and boot order menu. once we formatted it using ntfs, we installed xp using the eee-blog tutorial-prepped flash drive and wouldn't you know- worked perfectly the very first time. i have seen people using the sandisk cards for the hack in this forum, and they had mentioned the problem- however none have posted anything about a conclusion.

can anyone shed some light on this subject? thanks in advance :)

goremek, Jan 18, 2009
  2. goremek

goremek

:( bump :(

anyone?

goremek, Jan 21, 2009
  3. goremek

electec

I have the same problem with cf 8gb 300x LEXAR.
    into the bios menu the hdd is <none> but the ide 0 is recognized the cf lexar .

electec, Jan 21, 2009
  4. goremek

goremek

so yah- where's everyone that used sandisk extreme cards? come on! im dyin' here. im using a cheap pny cf card with my extreme IV sitting in it's case on my desk. btw- it doesn't even work well as a paper weight!

goremek, Jan 31, 2009
  5. goremek

overthis

I never did solve my Sandisk Extreme III 16G problems, but I didn't put much effort into it either. I haven't gotten around to buying a flip cable, so I've just been living life with the 8GB SSD. Maybe I ought to try harder ...

overthis, Feb 1, 2009
  6. goremek

CDNinKS

I gave up as well, just ordered a 5mm HDD...........anyone want to buy a Sandisk IV 8gb :D

CDNinKS, Aug 12, 2009
  7. goremek

tim292stro

[Deleted]

tim292stro, Aug 13, 2009
  8. goremek

uberpuppy

Yo!

fyi, I am successfully booting Ubuntu off a SanDisk Extreme IV 16GB 400x card.

I believe, based on problems reported in other posts, that the problem might be exclusively down to Windows. I don't know much about the difference between Linux's GRUB booting system and how windows does it. Either way, I know of at least one person who can boot ubuntu but not windows (don't know what type of card), and - more importantly - my SanDisk actually works.... with Ubuntu ;)

see http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=59&p=105533#p105533 for more details.

uberpuppy, Oct 27, 2009
Ask a Question