SSD And OSX, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Yaniel, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Yaniel

Yaniel

Hey guys i've recently become an osx86 fanatic, i converted my desktop to osx86 and now i'm working on the aao using all the great guides on here.

i have the 16gb samsung ssd model, and performance so far is HORRIBLE but as is expect, its not very good either. I have xp running great using ewf and a bunch of registry hacks which makes the ssd aao faster than my C2D desktop for most things. i dont know if there is anything like that for osx though, so has anyone had luck swapping out the ssd for a faster model and have good performance from leopard? i dont want to spend anything over $150 and would like to at least have the same 16gb capacity i have now, even though more would obviously be better.

Yaniel, Feb 3, 2009
  2. Yaniel

SbM

Quite a lot of people here (including me) successfully swaped their SSDs for 1.8" mechanical drives.

SbM, Feb 7, 2009
  3. Yaniel

2manydjs

Hi Yaniel,
    After running 10.5.6 on my 8GB 110L for a few days I have the following advice:

- Disable Safari's cache and safe browsing. I have Safari 4 running and it's the fastest browser by far I've ever used on my little Acer, no lags while loading Engadget, TUAW or other heavy blogs. The easiest way is to choose "Private browsing..", however you would need to do this everytime you start Safari and you will not have a usable history. The best way is to touch and lock a new Cache.db file that is located in the /var/folders/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/-Caches-/com.apple.Safari/ folder (the xxx's are different on every install, please have a look yourself where it is located). Safe browsing is disabled in the preferences (go to Security and untick "Warn me ...")

- Keep using monolingual after the installation of any software to keep the install slim. On a 16GB this might not be a problem, but on the 8GB it is important to leave enough space for VM, caches and whatever else that needs the disk space. I have 10.5.6 plus Word, Excel, Keynote, some small apps and some documents and I still have 1,3GB free.

-------
    To touch the new file (please keep in mind you need to change the xxx's to your personal situation).
    Code:
    cd /var/folders/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/-Caches-/com.apple.Safari/
    rm Cache.db
    touch Cache.db
    Now go to the com.apple.Safari folder in the finder: shift-command-G and go to /var/folders/xx/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/-Caches-/com.apple.Safari/ . Get the info on the Cache.db and choose to lock it. (Changing the permission on the file did not seem to work for me, that's why you have to lock it).

2manydjs, Feb 24, 2009
  4. Yaniel

chuckcalo

I'd recommend swapping it for a 1.8" drive, there are some threads about this on the forums you can find them using the Search function. In my opinion is better both for your OSx installation and for your own patient.

chuckcalo, Feb 24, 2009
  5. Yaniel

2manydjs

With the exception of running skype and safari at the same time, everything works fine. Unfortunately videochat and webbrowsing is the reason I have this thing! That's why I have ordered a 1.8" drive..

2manydjs, Feb 24, 2009
  6. Yaniel

magnatree

I had osx running on my aspire one 110L and it worked really well. Important is: Don't use a journaled filesystem! Disable Spotlight (System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy -> Add Systemdrive as place not to search for)! Disalbe Safari caches! Disable Swap (Google should help)!

But you really need 1.5GB of RAM!

It booted quite fast and was usable really well. I turned back to Linux just beacause of the wifi, fan and sleep issue.

magnatree, Feb 25, 2009
  7. Yaniel

2manydjs

I have locked the "Webpage Previews" folder as well (same place as cache.db). After one day it had grown to 165MB.. So next to less disk writing it will also save you disk space!

2manydjs, Feb 26, 2009
  8. Yaniel

briviere

Sorry for my newbie question but I don't understand : "Add Systemdrive as place not to search for" ?

Could you tell me more please ?
    Thanks.

briviere, Feb 26, 2009
  9. Yaniel

2manydjs

System preferences: Spotlight: Privacy, and drag the HD icon from the Desktop into the windows.

2manydjs, Feb 26, 2009
  10. Yaniel

Yaniel

i actually ended up upgrading to 1.5 gb's of ram and adding a toshiba 30gb 1.8" drive and it runs great now. i still would prefer a faster ssd solution but until a good and affordable one is available, this will do.

Yaniel, Feb 27, 2009
  11. Yaniel

Rohan

Are none of you with the 30GB Toshiba ZIF experiencing the clicking and clunking noises of the drive heads parking???

Rohan, Mar 1, 2009
  12. Yaniel

SbM

Yes it's clicking. You'll get used to it (or you won't ;)

SbM, Mar 1, 2009
  13. Yaniel

Yaniel

yes, mine clicks too. doesnt bother me though. it still seems quieter to me than my friends aao150

Yaniel, Mar 1, 2009
  14. Yaniel

2manydjs

What's causing the clicking? And is there something we can do to fix it?

2manydjs, Mar 1, 2009
  15. Yaniel

SbM

That's the heads parking and moving. There's nothing to "fix" there.

SbM, Mar 1, 2009
Ask a Question