Sound volume bug in Linpus.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jaycb, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Jaycb

Jaycb

I found an annoying little bug in the AAO's Linpus.
    It started off with me finding the maximum sound level was markedly reduced after I'd played a home-made movie clip from a USB stick using the AAO's supplied media player. No matter what I tried, I could not get the sound level up on other applications after this (e.g. Youtube videos).
    After a bit of playing around I've found that the cause is the media player. What happens is this:
    if you play a video in the media player and set the volume using the media player's own volume slider (it's on a kind of floating "Winamp" type interface) to, for example, approx. 20% and then close the player and reboot, this 20% volume level then becomes the 100% volume threshold when you next use any other sound app. or try to set the volume using the mixer icon! To fix this, you have to run something in the media player again, turn the volume up to full and then close it & reboot. You'll then get the full volume range available to you again.
    This bug affects both the internal speakers and earphone socket.
    I find it amazing that such a ridiculous little bug could get through testing. This Linpus Lite is in my opinion very, very flaky.
    Hope this helps someone else.
    J.

Jaycb, Oct 1, 2008
  2. Jaycb

Grim Squeaker

Ah. This may be the cause of the poor sound output in vlc... nice find :)

Grim Squeaker, Oct 1, 2008
  3. Jaycb

blackhawk

You can access the PCM mixer (not shown by Volume Control) using alsamixer over Terminal. The PCM mixer device widely use by multimedia application by default.

blackhawk, Oct 1, 2008
Ask a Question