Sound and Mic working after resume!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SlCKB0Y, Oct 14, 2008.

1. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

I'm pretty sure I have managed to get both the sound and the mic working after suspend and resume in ubuntu.
    On the 3 cell battery I also seem to be getting around about 2hours 20-30mins which although not as good as linpus, is ok.

I have one problem now which is something to do with the new kernel I am running... kernel log daemon crashes on boot lengthening the boot time.

:(

SlCKB0Y, Oct 14, 2008
  2. SlCKB0Y

N6546R

Turn off kernel logging in Services...should help with your boot problem. How'd you fix the sound issue? I've been playing with some kernel builds that remove everything not needed on the AAO (no IPV6, no Mac filesystem support, etc), and compiling the rest into the kernel (rather than as modules) but still have suspend/resume issues.

Perry
    Does Your Kid Love to Write?
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 14, 2008
  3. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

about the sound issue, it could be one of two things, im just going to test now.

And im trying without kernel logging daemon, but the sound and mic are definitely working after resume

SlCKB0Y, Oct 15, 2008
  4. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

just double checked. Yes I have sound and mic working after suspend and i have head phone detection working properly too!

I did this by making a franken-buntu :)

As a base I used Ubuntu 8.04.1 EEE as most hardware was already working under this. then I downloaded the 1.0.18rc3 ALSA source and the mad wifi source.

I then got the linpus kernel source from here: ftp://[email protected]/Aspire_O ... 23.9lw.zip

using the config file which came with the source, i compiled some debs using the instructions here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=3

at one point i got an error about include/asm being a directory. I deleted this directory and then it all worked properly.

I then installed the new kernel debs and booted from it. I got a kernel log daemon error which made boot take a long time, After booting i installed madwifi and alsa. Alsa was configured using ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel

Reboot and now all the sound stuff should work.

Note: I will type this out more neatly soon.
    Note: I really want to work out why the kernel log daemon is failing, but for now, i stopped it booting.

Basically I have compiled the linpus kernel source on ubuntu using the linpus config to get sound and mc after suspend.

SlCKB0Y, Oct 15, 2008
  5. SlCKB0Y

SlCKB0Y

later on I will go through and try and remove a lot of extra kernel options which are not needed. I will try and resolve the kernel log issues as well. Also I will try and compile in ALSA so then all that needs to be done is mad wifi.

After this I will release a deb for testing if people express interest.

SlCKB0Y, Oct 15, 2008
  6. SlCKB0Y

rattboi

hmm, I already had these working. I think it was a mix of Alsa 1.0.18rc3 and the right options in alsa-base. That being said, I am interested in a working kernel from linpus, as I'd like something with a bit faster boot time and not all the extras I won't use.

rattboi, Oct 15, 2008
  7. SlCKB0Y

jeffyeh

rattboi, how did you get your sound to work? i've been trying different options and i haven't been able to get anything out of the microphone, and i've lost sound on suspend/resume each option as well. also, do you have the A150L or the A110L? it appears that the "basic" option gives perfect sound for the A150L, which i don't have.

slckboy, i'm definitely interested in your kernel (i've already pm'd you) and would love to get a kernel of my own, but as of now i don't have the time. but if you have a good working kernel, i'm definitely interested. thanks!

jeffyeh, Oct 20, 2008
  8. SlCKB0Y

rattboi

yeah, I have an A150. L = Linux? I got one with XP cause it was the only choice where I bought it, but I formatted and put Ubuntu on there. And yes, I'm using the "basic" option for good sound. Too bad the speakers suck no matter what you do.

rattboi, Oct 20, 2008
  9. SlCKB0Y

jeffyeh

Yeah, it looks like sounds works perfectly for those with the A150(L). Those of us with the A110L have sound problems, and I still am having sound problems. I have sound post-suspend/resume, but I haven't been able to get my mic working with any configuration. I'm going to go ahead and build the kernel from Acer's source tonight and give that a shot; I'm hoping webcam doesn't go kaput on me, but mic > webcam for me right now.

jeffyeh, Oct 22, 2008
Ask a Question