Sorely missing the 'Rename File button' on proper keyboards.

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Chef Borjan, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Chef Borjan

Chef Borjan

Hi there.

After much tinkering and tweaking my One is 'almost' as I want it.

One of the last things remaining is that the current keyboard configuration is missing a few keys found on genuine Apple keyboards, and consequently, I'm missing my much loved 'Insta-rename' button, found on the right of the space bar.

What's the easiest way to reassign it to the menu looking button one, which is in a similar place?

Chef Borjan, Jan 17, 2009
  2. Chef Borjan

rory

select the file and press enter
    does the trick for me
    but its annoying for me because i am used to using the keyboard to navigate through folders (arrows enter and backspace)

rory, Jan 17, 2009
  3. Chef Borjan

chuckcalo

Yeah, ENTER does the trick for me aswell.

chuckcalo, Jan 17, 2009
  4. Chef Borjan

Chef Borjan

Ahh.. yes Enter is the fallback, but it not exactly the same...

For instance, you cannot use it to quickly rename songs in iTunes, it causes them to play instead!

Chef Borjan, Jan 19, 2009
  5. Chef Borjan

PhyrePhox

OK, y'all are confusing me. I've got three Mac keyboards here, one laptop and two desktop, and I don't see an "instant-rename" key. On the right of the spacebar on the desktop keyboards, there's a command key, then option, then control, mirrored order (and same functions) as on the left of the keyboard.
    On the laptop, there's command, then "Enter". Is that what you mean? Apple treats "Enter" as different from "Return", but I've never used Enter to immediately rename a file in Finder or iTunes; didn't know it worked that way, I have just ignored it and missed having the second Option key...
    EDIT: And just tested it, and wow, that's what it does. So, to get the function you are missing, you need to map "Enter" (not Return) to an unused key on the AAO keyboard.
    EDIT 2: Try http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/ for remapping keys.

PhyrePhox, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question