Sony Vaio P series

Discussion in 'Sony' started by AceRyan, Jan 8, 2009.

1. AceRyan

AceRyan

Anyone see the new netbook by Sony that was unveiled at CES? The specs seem nice, and it is certainly one of the smallest netbooks now available, but it has no track pad (eraser head mouse) and will cost you more than twice the price of an AA1. What are your thoughts?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1644608896

AceRyan, Jan 8, 2009
  2. AceRyan

Ranger Wolf

Reminds me of a rather large flip phone with full keyboard XD

i think the height is a little small for too much use tho. think about using an internet browser, the tool bars take up a lot of space on something that short.

Ranger Wolf, Jan 9, 2009
  3. AceRyan

darwin

Is £850 so A LOT more than an AA1
    The Vista business version is £970

darwin, Jan 9, 2009
  4. AceRyan

LarimdaME

Looking over the specs and comparing to the A150-1447 (XP, 6 cell), it looks like a slightly slower processor (1.33 vs 1.6), smaller but wider and higher resolution screen (8 at 1600x768 vs. 8.9 at 1024x600), better keyboard, more memory (2gb vs 1gb) and less HDD (60gb HDD or 128gb SSD vs. 160gb HDD), less or more battery (no battery stats given, just estimated hours, so hard to tell. AA1 configuration sports 6 cell battery, good for approx 4.5 hours), better webcam, Bluetooth, probably better speakers, 1 less USB slot and no microphone slot, Vista + standard Sony bloatware.

Which translates into english as: the screen will be sharper but everything will be tiny, you can hold less stuff on it but it'll be faster, it'll run vista but run it slower, it'll be easier to type on, can use bluetooth mice and wirelessly sync with your blackberry, and run for about the same amount of time as an AA1, for slightly less weight and twice the price.

I can see where this might fit into Sony's marketing niche, rich people who don't care so much about performance as much as they do about brand name, style, fit and finish, and featuritis. Problem is, I think a lot of those people aren't doing so well right now, what with their investment portfolios and real estate holdings having cratered. I wouldn't recommend it over an AA1, I can't justify the price premium. Either go super mobile (blackberry, G1, itouch/iphone) or upgrade to a 10 inch like the Samsung NC10. Or get 2 AA1s (or 1 AA1 and a spare battery and peripherals); either way is a cheaper.

But then, after spending 2 days de-bloating 2 sony laptops in the past 6 months, I would never ever recommend a sony anyway.

LarimdaME, Jan 10, 2009
  5. AceRyan

jaydon34

Looks nice but overpriced as everything else sony sells. I'm debating getting the new dell mini 10 now thats a netbook.

jaydon34, Jan 10, 2009
  6. AceRyan

endlessnameless

I'm not usually a form over function person but I've been researching these netbooks and the look and size is a big seller for me. I've been trying to find some forums with more information and the best forums I can find thus far are pocketables.net and even then the forums aren't dedicated to one platform like they are over here. But the people over there have found ways to wipe the HD and install XP with all the correct drivers and a lot of them have wifi, gps etc running.

endlessnameless, May 16, 2009
Ask a Question