Sony Ericsson phone as 3G modem via bluetooth - possible?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ashpire, Sep 10, 2008.

1. ashpire

ashpire

Is it possible to use a Sony Ericsson w880i phone via bluetooth as a 3G modem in Linpus Linux on the Aspire One if I use a usb bluetooth adapter? Could somebody tell me how to get it to work?
    Or then with the usb cable, but bluetooth would be much nicer!

ashpire, Sep 10, 2008
  2. ashpire

sk3rmo

Re: Sony Ericsson phone as 3G modem via bluetooth

likewise interested in using my se k610i as a 3G modem either via bluetooth or data cable but don't know how to go about it.
    i'm a total linux noobie.

it would be nice though if acer would offer upgrades to early buyers of the AA1 to make their netbooks 3G-able!! :D

sk3rmo, Sep 10, 2008
  3. ashpire

ashpire

ashpire, Sep 13, 2008
  4. ashpire

rally4

rally4, Sep 13, 2008
  5. ashpire

ivor

Yeah I'm using a K800i with pan. No problems whatsoever. I'll add it to my list of things I need to write a howto for.

ivor, Sep 13, 2008
  6. ashpire

rally4

Hi Ivor.

Did You se my post about problem starting SBUS. Do You have that problem when using PAN ?

Snorre

rally4, Sep 13, 2008
  7. ashpire

ashpire

ivor: a howto would be really much appriciated!

ashpire, Sep 21, 2008
  8. ashpire

webplus

I've used several GPRS & 3G phones (Motorola RAZR, Sony Ericsson W300i, Z610i & 880i) with my AA1 using wvdial and a USB cable. Not sure about bluetooth (always have problems setting up bluetooth) but wvdial and a USB cable works extremely well, is very reliable and is easy to set up... and wvdial is already installed on the AA1 with Linpus.

A good set-up guide can be found at http://www.ax697.org/motorola-gprs-on-u ... 00632.html

The article above refers to a Motorola phone and Ubuntu, but it works just the same with other phones and distros.

Quick tip if using the above method: you need to initiate the connection from a Terminal window - leave the Terminal window open to keep the connection open, closing the window ends the connection.

webplus, Sep 26, 2008
  9. ashpire

ashpire

Well I've tried now many times with my w880i but can't get it working.
    It says: "Sorry, no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program? Did you configure it properly with setserial?"

The phone is connected by usb and in "phone mode" (not "file transfer mode").. Does somebody have an idea on how to get it working? Should I do something with setserial or what?

ashpire, Oct 30, 2008
  10. ashpire

Japser

Japser, Oct 30, 2008
  11. ashpire

ashpire

Hey thanks! Now the pc finds the phone, but there seems to be some kind of DNS problem, the connection works if I use the ip adress for pages (like 74.125.43.103 for google), but not if I just type in the web adress (like just http://www.google.com). Does anyone know how to set the DNS?

Edit: I got it working with gnome-ppp and OpenDNS dns-servers, both with usb-cable and bluetooth.
    Here is information if somebody needs:
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2258
    viewtopic.php?f=36&t=789

ashpire, Nov 10, 2008
Ask a Question