SongBird Rpm installed how do I start the Program?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Pete-one, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Pete-one

Pete-one

Hi Guys.

I have installed Songbird using an Rpm, however it has not installed a start link or icon anywhere, how do you start this program? it has installed in its default location, how do you access this location? what types of files are used in linpus to start programs? sorry for these basic questions but this is very frustrating, with windows you tell it to install then click go! why is Linux so Hard? 2 hours now trying to get this to play a music track with a decent i-tunes type player eeek!

Cheers Pete.

Pete-one, Dec 21, 2008
  2. Pete-one

markh

I downloaded it via the songbird site, and mine launches with /opt/Songbird/songbird, that being where I've downloaded it to - yours may vary. That songbird file is a shell script. There's a discussion about getting it set up here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8013&p=52151#p52151 which might give you some clues, including how to get a desktop icon for it.

If you download programs with yum, linux is easier than windows, imo. Using direct downloads is a bit trickier to get sorted, but it all makes sense in the end (I was new to linux 2 months ago, and I now know how to use at least 1% of it!)

markh, Dec 21, 2008
Ask a Question