[SOLVED] Warranty - dead - no Linpus - Jaunty - repair?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Linzt, May 18, 2009.

1. Linzt

Linzt

======================I HAVE SOLVED THIS NOW, READ BELOW==========================================
    Hi all,

Two nights ago I got rid of Linpus and installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix, Jaunty. For the past two nights I've been on the internet, using the AAO (A150AB) smoothly. Then this morning I tried to turn it on and nothing. Blank screen. Two of the 4 LED's light up when I press the power button (the two to the right) and then flick off. After that nothing.

Here's the process as it happens:

I press power button.
    Power button lights up.
    The two LED's to the right (the ones which look as if they have padlocks for icons and the letter "1" and "A") flash once.
    LED's return to blank.
    Fan is on, with the occasional raise in fan speed and back down. The AAO seems dead.

I've tried booting from USB - no luck. Not even with Linpus USB as I was going to restore it to factory default.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My gut feeling is that something has fried - perhaps Jaunty wasn't managing the fan well. It's so strange though.

What do you think about my warranty? I did buy it refurbed from Dixons online. I'm wondering why it was actually refurbished in the first place. But really my concern is whether my warranty is void or not seeing as I put Jaunty on? I don't think it should be as Linpus is only a "flavour" of linux and linux is owned by nobody, is available to the public for free, can be distributed, modified and used as one wishes under GNU. It wouldn't make sense for the warranty to be void in a manner that it would if I wiped my AAO if it came with Windows XP on it. Does it?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Linzt.

==========================SOLVED --> The SOLUTION --> ===================

Hi,

Since my last post a couple of hours ago I solved the issue. I simply flashed the BIOS. Bit of a risk in case it went wrong, just ensure that you follow the instructions as set out. I was doing some scouring on the internet and apparently this is not a rare occurrence with the AAO's. So, for anyone in a similar position as I was (above) I'm posting this to give you a break and help you out. Plus I think many forumers on here don't want to repeat the advice they've already been giving (maybe). Follow the link, follow the instructions - but remember, if this goes wrong (because you didn't follow the instructions!) it has the potential to void your warranty. Good luck: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html

Linzt, May 18, 2009
Ask a Question