[Solved] Sound Cuts In and Out

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ajayre, Jan 19, 2009.

1. ajayre

ajayre

I am running Ubuntu 8.04.1 and ALSA 1.0.18. Everything is working pretty well and I can play MP3s without a problem.

However, listening to internet radio and with some flash files (i.e. on You Tube) the sound cuts in an out. This doesn't happen for all You Tube videos I've tried, but it does happen for perhaps 1/3 of them. Here is an example of problem video (Coldplay music video):

The audio starts cutting in and out around the 50 second mark. On my XP desktop it works fine. All the internet radio streams I tried (in Banshee) immediately start cutting in and out.

These two media forms have something in common - they are both streaming. I don't think it is a flash problem because it also affects the radio streams. In the case of the You Tube videos it doesn't matter if the entire video is fully buffered, so I don't think it is an internet connection problem.

I've tried disabling all the power saving options in /etc/rc.local. In alsa-base the model is set to "acer-aspire".

Any hints or ideas on what to try?

thanks, Andy

ajayre, Jan 19, 2009
  2. ajayre

SlCKB0Y

Re: Sound Cuts In and Out

I've noticed this too.

My guess is that its a flash and/or pulseaudio issue.

SlCKB0Y, Jan 19, 2009
  3. ajayre

ajayre

Re: Sound Cuts In and Out

I found the solution - turn the volume down. It seems if the volume reaches a certain level it starts to cut in and out. Totally **** if you ask me...

Andy

ajayre, Jan 20, 2009
Ask a Question