[Solved] Compiz freezes / No Titlebar after closing Compiz

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Carlios, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Carlios

Carlios

Hello, I have a little problem with compiz, I don't know if anyone could help me.

To begin using compiz I press alt+f2, and use the command compiz-manager, and compiz opens, but apparently there is no way to turn it off. I try opening the system manager and end the process, but then the computer kind of freezes, the only thing I can do is open compiz again by hitting alt+f2 --> compiz-manager.

On the other hand, if I run compiz with alt+f2, BUT with the run in terminal box checked, compiz runs, but when I close the terminal, compiz closes, I can continue working with the computer, because it does not freeze, but the titlebars on top of every window disappear.

Has anyone experienced any of these problems? :roll:

BTW, The distro I'm using is Linpus linux.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

Carlos

Carlios, Sep 24, 2009
  2. Carlios

RockDoctor

Re: Compiz freezes / No Titlebar after closing Compiz

Your titlebars disappear because you no longer have a running window manager, and, hence, no window decorations (like title bars). That's not a good thing - as you've discovered. Here's a solution: open your file manager from the system menu (assuming you have a panel with a menu button on it) or the desktop, and navigate through the file manager to /usr/bin. Now double-click on a window manager (metacity for GNOME, xfwm for XFCE) to run the selected window manager. You should be back in business.

RockDoctor, Sep 28, 2009
  3. Carlios

Carlios

Re: Compiz freezes / No Titlebar after closing Compiz

¡¡¡Thank you so much for the help RockDoctor!!!

That was the solution, although double-clicking the program from /usr/bin/, didn'd seemed to work with me, I tried with alt+f2 ---> xfwm4, and now the titlebars are back :D

Checking the system monitor (ctrl+alt+del), I can see that the default windw manager (xfwm4) closes when compiz begins to run... I can't help but wonder, is there a way for xfwm4 to run automatically once compiz closes???

Well anyhow, problem solved.

Cheers

Carlos

Carlios, Sep 30, 2009
Ask a Question