*SOLVED !!!* AAone doesn't power on:lights flash and dim out

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by x33, Jul 16, 2009.

1. x33

pabaac

Re: *UPDATE* AAone doesn't power on:lights flash and dim out

I have been following the posts for this problem. I have it also. I AM NOT SAVY ENOUGH FOR ALL THE TECH INFO to even follow along. What can I do?....Start over with a new laptop?

pabaac, Oct 17, 2009
  2. x33

rincage

Been following this thread for a while after my AAO110L showed similar symptoms.

My problem was random switch-off where I had to disconnect the power and battery before plugging back in and switching on. I narrowed the problem down to the screen wiring that passes through the left hand side hinge. Basically it had rubbed through the wire and was shorting (ie, as the netbook is opened and closed). Unless I left the screen very still the wire would short against the metal hinge and I guess an "internal cicuit breaker" would kick in until I disconnected and the reconnected the power.

Problem solved by splitting the screen and correcting the routing of the screen cable plus some re-taping to protect it.

Good as new now.

rincage, Oct 18, 2009
  3. x33

x33

Megavolt, excellent info in your post.

Where did you get the image for re-flashing your BIOS chip?

I'd like to experiment on this, but that's the only missing piece of info.

x33, Oct 19, 2009
  4. x33

Megavolt

I used the stock 3310.fd bios file from the update package. Don't need any offsets or anything since it's a 1024KB file and a 1024KB flash space.

I verified this because what killed my AOA150 was that I accidentally flashed the AOD150 bios onto it (that's another story)... I first dumped the flash chip and compared the file output with the bios file and they matched 100%. So I then flashed the 3310.fd bios back on, resoldered the chip to the board and it came back to life.

Guess I should tell that 'other story'. My AOA150 died on another person, who gave it to his friend to 'fix'. The friend tried all of the advice on the internet about reflashing the bios with Fn+Esc and nothing worked. So they gave up on it and tore it apart (none too gracefully) to get the hard drive and the friend's data. It was then posted on a local forum as parts for $20. After not selling for a week it was offered for free which is when I picked it up.

Upon getting it home I also searched the internet and found the Fn+Esc flashing guides which also for me didn't work, green lights flashed, bios was flashed, but still dead black screen after flashing. So I inspected the circuit board for damage, found none. I then thought maybe there was a newer bios out and I searched. This is where I got the AOD150 bios from (before I knew the difference). I flashed this bios onto the board and it died in the middle of flashing... but something must of happened... because when I hit the power button it came back to life! I then reflashed to the 3310 bios and it stayed alive! I was so excited! :D I spent the next few days putting the thing back together and installing software. I then started reading about the ram and BT upgrades that could be done. After doing the 1.5GB ram upgrade I was getting a strange resolution on the screen (which I now know has to do with the seating of the cable), but I thought it was a bios issue. So I popped my usb key back in and did a blind flash (I now know this to be a bad idea), but it turned out to my the AOD150 bios I had on there... which after flashing the whole flash killed it altogether.

Which brought me here.

Hope you enjoyed that story. I wouldn't recommend the whole AOD150 bios thing to anyone unless you're willing to do the whole offboard bios flashing thing I described in my last post. :D

Megavolt, Oct 20, 2009
  5. x33

x33

@jerryt:
    UPDATE: I have ordered a chip from the ebay guy you've posted the link to. I've received it but it didn't work. It behaves exactly as an aoa with a corrupted BIOS chip before doing the Macles recovery: power light ON,fan spins, no video. I've tried the recovery and it does work, but when it's finished, it is still not posting (just like before). I have explained to the guy that something was wrong- tried the chip on three known good aoa150 motherboards and didn't work, and he agreed to send me a replacement.Which he did. Unfortunately even the second does exactly the same thing...It's either using a wrong bios file or the SST 25VF080B chips he sent me are not compatible as a direct replacement for the original Winbond W25x.

@ Megavolt:
    That is quite a story but thanks for sharing the string of events and especially the fix you've found. Now, since I am fed up with the pre-programmed chips that do not work, I am willing to try re-flashing my old chips using the method you have posted previously. Do you mind providing more details about the procedure you've followed?
    I am not experienced with flashing, but I can build my own board and with a good guide I am sure I can be successful. So, can you please describe the exact steps you've taken? (don't spare any details as they may be important).

Thank you !

x33, Oct 20, 2009
  6. x33

jerryt

@X33
    So the bios I got from England may also be a problem you think?

I have flashed chips before, but did not see any incentive in trying anymore on this one problem motherboard that I have.

It would be fairly simple to set all this up, because I have a socket for the bios chips...

Maybe you could image the one bios chip you had working?

jerryt, Oct 20, 2009
  7. x33

x33

Yes jerryt, this is the plan I have. I will try to flash the original Winbond chips that came with the boards. I don't think they are faulty, but just the programming messed up/corrupted. I'll have to see what's the outcome of that and then I'll attempt a reflash on these two chips that I got from the Ebay guy.

My incentive is that I have two good boards in need of the damn chips. I have a perfect, complete aoa which is sitting, collecting dust becuase of a 2 bucks chip...

Another incentive is to get familiar with flashing these buggers given the trend in the mobo manufacturing: they all use spi flash nowadays.

That being said, I am anxiuosly waiting for Megavolt's details to can start this project.

As always I'll share my experiences/findings by posting back here.

Oh and yes, maybe your "dead" motherboard is not dead ;) What kind of chip have you got from UK? Is it an identical Winbond or some equivalent? I have a feeling that these "equivalents" require some modification on the zg5 mobo to be compatible...

I am not knowledgeable enough with bios chips to compare the two datasheets in order to tell if they are direct equivalents or not (too many variables).

Too bad the BIOS gurus don't pitch in here with an expert opinion..

Megavolt, I am relying on you buddy with some details!!!

x33, Oct 20, 2009
  8. x33

Megavolt

Sorry guys, I was up all night being insane trying to put my brain towards the 2GB RAM problem (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=10409&start=60#p104965)... cutting traces on the motherboard, etc. :shock:

Anyway... What do you need to know. The schematics for building the programmer are there in the 2nd link (except the 3.3V power supply, I just happened to have a 3V supply that worked. But there's something in there about using zener diodes to produce a voltage drop from a PC power supply's 5V line in the first link). And then it's just a matter of getting the eeprom out of the circuit (which it looks like you're quite used to taking the chip off of your board and putting it back on) and programming it, which the instuctions are in the first link.

The only thing I forgot to mention was the fun I had flashing with the DOS boot disk, there wasn't enough room for the flash file on the disk, so I ended up using 2 usb floppy disks. Probably could have got around this with a bootable DOS usb drive or something, I just didn't bother.

Let me know what else you need.

Megavolt, Oct 20, 2009
  9. x33

x33

Well, I was thinking about having the whole procedure lined up nicely, so maybe the moderator will turn this thread into a sticky, once we re-verify that works.

Quick recap:

-the schematics are provided and simple enough for 4th grader :D . Not very clear about the use of an external power source of 3.3V, which might trigger some unpleasant effects due to common GND with the PC through the LPT port. I'd incline to use the 5V rail from one of the PC's multiple plugs,and use a stabilizer to bring it down to 3.3V (with a Zenner or integrated stabilizer chip). This way the board's GND is the same with the computer's (used for flashing).

-the proggies are downloadable from those 2 links (thank you again for the great find, Megavolt).

-to flash the chip we can use the xxxx.fd file provided by Acer (3310 is the latest).

-anything worth mentioning during the flashing process (besides specifying the size of 1024) ?

- all the software needed will not fit on a single floppy (DOS bootable), therefore a large DOS bootable USB stick would be better.

Have I missed anything?

Personally, I don't have a SOIC 8 socket, so I'll go with soldering on a home-made board (hehehe like in the good ol'days eh?).

x33, Oct 20, 2009
  10. x33

x33

I took a look at the datasheets for the two SPI chips I've mentioned earlier, and ...well, it's kinda interesting. Again, I am no expert in this kind of chips, but it looks like they are not fully compatible, which might explain why they don't work in a ZG5. The operating frequencies are different.

jerryt, what chip have you got from UK?

Oh and by the way, I was crazy enough (you're not alone Megavolt :roll: ) to try and remove the good chip while the lappie was running, just to verify if I'd be able to hot swap the chip and to be able to run the flasher from XP. The result was the same in all the three attempts: the aoa shuts down instantly.

Megavolt, go get some rest and then read my other posts to confirm if I got the "recipe" right. I know what you did last night...LOOOOL.

x33, Oct 20, 2009
  11. x33

Megavolt

Recap pretty much says it.

You don't even have to specify the size of the chip... the W25X80 is autodetected by the software.

Megavolt, Oct 20, 2009
  12. x33

jerryt

This is the number of the UK bios chip, 25X80VS1G

I have all the parts to build a Bios Flasher, my LPT cable assembly uses a double AA battery pack for the 3.3 volts.

Now to find the time...

jerryt, Oct 21, 2009
  13. x33

Megavolt

Sounds like the right chip (just without the W in front).

Megavolt, Oct 21, 2009
  14. x33

x33

Yeap, it sure does sound like a Winbond w25x80.

I've got the parts too and I'd like to try it later today. Actually I was thinking about using a 3V lithium cell for 3.3v source, but I'm not sure it would provide enough power. I'll probably settle for a simple 5v to 3.3v stabilizer off the pc's 5v rail.

Thank you Megavolt for bringing this thread back to life with this precious info.

I'll post back with my results.

x33, Oct 21, 2009
  15. x33

Megavolt

BTW guys, I'm in Canada... probably why I'm taking so long to reply. ;)

Megavolt, Oct 21, 2009
  16. x33

x33

I'm in Canada too, Megavolt ! Whereabouts?

x33, Oct 22, 2009
  17. x33

Megavolt

Calgary

Megavolt, Oct 22, 2009
  18. x33

x33

London,ON here.

x33, Oct 22, 2009
  19. x33

x33

Megavolt, YOU DA MAN!!!!

Worked on reflashing until late last night, but it was a complete SUCCESS!!! You son of a gun, you nailed it!

My compliments to the Czech guy that came up with the schematics and the progs for reflashing, he truly deserves Paypal donations.

As for you, buddy, I'll have a case of cold beer for you anytime you might stop by in London,Ontario :p Ok, let's make that a case of Czech beer for what is worth..hehehehe.

Long story short, here's the scoop:

- the first chip that actually made me start this thread, reflashed nicely without any hiccups.The mobo works beautiful AS NEW!

- the second chip that made the mobo freeze up at the ACER splash screen, reflashed without problems and its mobo works AS NEW!

Sometime in the next few days,I will reflash the "pre-programmed" SST chips I bought off Ebay, to see if they'll really work on the ZG5 mobo, and as usual I'll post back here the results.

Anyway, in conclusion, this is the method I (we) needed for so long to revive these little buggers.

I am sure this thread needs to be turned into a sticky !!!
    THANK YOU!

x33, Oct 22, 2009
  20. x33

Megavolt

Hey no problem. Glad I could help.

Really, as soon as I read that it was a bios issue (which you guys figured out), I just went and found a programmer for it.
    I thought I would have to borrow my friend's flash programmer but luckily turned out these flash chips only require a simple programmer.

Too bad they can't be programmed in-circuit, would have simplified things a little.

Also too bad it came down to this, considering a lot of people won't have the technical skill to complete this. Although really, it isn't all that hard. Would have been worse if the IC was fine-pitch.

Perhaps with a well written HOWTO... (I'm not much of a technical writer).

Megavolt, Oct 22, 2009
Ask a Question