[Solved] AAO won't boot from USB anymore

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mailman1175, May 10, 2010.

1. mailman1175

mailman1175

In my never-ending search for the lightest-but-still-nice-to-look-at distro for the AAO, I've run into a bit of a hiccup. I can't get the darn thing to boot from USB anymore. I flashed the BIOS (v.3310) before an Arch install, for whatever that's worth. I've tried a number of different methods of preparing the USB stick (unetbootin; format with gparted, flag as bootable, dd the .iso; liveusb) and three different USB sticks, all different brands and sizes, two of which were brand new, on the off chance that the AAO was quirky about what it boots from. 99% of the time, after F12 -> select USB, it just boots the native OS normally. The other 1% of the time it fails to boot at all 'cause I've prepped the stick incorrectly :lol:

Any idea why it won't boot from USB? I've finally got a little scratch pulled together to upgrade the SSD and RAM. I'll start with a fresh OS install (either Peppermint or Mint 9 - LXDE) after the hardware upgrades, but I obviously can't do that if I can't boot from USB.

mailman1175, May 10, 2010
  2. mailman1175

mailman1175

Re: AAO won't boot from USB anymore

For the record, it won't boot from an external USB-DVD drive, either. :cry:

3. mailman1175

mailman1175

Update:

If I boot another Aspire One ZG5 with an external USB-DVD drive first, then the problematic AAO will boot from it. But ProblemAAO will not boot with anything other than the SSD unless I go through the process of booting another machine with the external drive first.

I have not tested that theory with USB drives, but I assume it's going to be the same deal. Is this a BIOS issue? GRUB? What say you?

4. mailman1175

mailman1175

I'm bumping my own old thread, in hopes that someone will have some input.

Bueller? Bueller?

mailman1175, Jun 11, 2010
  5. mailman1175

mailman1175

:oops:

Operator error. Go figure.

mailman1175, Jun 14, 2010
Ask a Question