Solution to Slow Windows

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ind, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ind

ind

Install Ubuntu.

Seriously though, I have tried Linpus, xUbuntu, Ubuntu, and Windows. Making the move from Linpus to Windows was pure hell - I could not play mp3 without it stuttering and it sounded horrible. I'm running the 512 RAM ONE and I think to use Windows you would need to upgrade to a 300x CFF card and likely the RAM as well. xUbuntu was OK but didn't appear to be as successful as the original Ubuntu. I eventually went back to Ubuntu and it's great. I don't experience pausing, and mp3 plays smooth.

For all those out there that might not be comfortable with Linux -- don't be afraid to give Ubuntu a shot.

EDIT: I also tried all the recommended Windows performance improvements - still didn't cut it.

ind, Jul 26, 2008
  2. ind

myst

i got the One with Samsung's SSD (Which is faster) and my XP experience is fair good, paying attention to use fat32, disabling prefetch & swap file. I play Divx with VLC media player without a glitch, browse the internet with firefox3 and have some rare, fast stall there and then.

completely usable.

myst, Jul 27, 2008
  3. ind

loopyoyo

ive got the slow ssd...1.5gb ram..vista with ntfs and everything is smooth as a clock with an occasional studder...i can even play things like halo and halflife without a hitch....o and aero works fine as actually divx files play better with aero enabled

loopyoyo, Jul 27, 2008
  4. ind

Kaos2K

Some questions:

-What about booting time? how much seconds?
    -What about fan noise and heat?is more noticeable than using Linpus?
    -Did you use an standard version of Vista or a cutted one like TinyVista?

Thanks

Kaos2K, Aug 1, 2008
Ask a Question