Solution: AO751h-52Bk ZA3 Black screen + Flash bios

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by insomniacno1, Nov 25, 2017.

1. insomniacno1

insomniacno1

AO751h-52Bk ZA3(my friends) that got severely screwed up(I'm guessing ACER update did a failed bios update(it has been reported not to work correctly in Windows)), it worked last time my friend had it out for a spin a year ago, but now it don't detect HDD in bios and comes up with "operating system not found" (even on my 2 HDD's). I have had allot of trouble trying to figure a solution for this and actually managed to get myself in the "Black screen of death" situation. But since I never give up I scorched the net for a solution to this new problem and came across some things that I put together to one solution.

Disclaimer - if your laptop get screwed up it's on you, I cannot be held responsible.

This is how I got my friends 751h-52Bk ZA3 out of "black screen of death:

1. Remove the power cable and battery.
    2. Then remove static charge by holding the power button for 60 seconds. I did that twice, just to be sure.

3. Then re-insert the battery.

4. Hold down Fn + esc and connect the power cable - Do NOT press Power.

5. after 10 seconds release Fn + esc, and press Power.

Your 751h should turn ON - it might take 10 to 15 seconds, be patient.

This is how you flash the bios:

Go into bios by pressing F2 on startup and make sure the boot order has the USB before the HDD.

On a different pc/laptop:

Find a small(max 4GB) USB stick and format it to FAT(FAT16 not FAT32) make sure you set it to boot(active) - in windows use Disk management and in Linux use Gparted.

Download http://www.finnix.org/files/balder10.img and save it on your HDD(this is a FreeDos image file).

If you don't already have unetbootin then download and install it.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-windows-latest.exe

If you have linux then find it in your software center.

Now run it and choose floppy image then find the balder10.img file and click start.

After it finishes continue to next point.

Go to acer support page and download latest bios for your 751h - right now that should be 3212. Extract it and find the Dos folder and copy ZA33212.EXE to the root of the newly created USB stick. Then find the ROM File folder and copy ZA33212.WPH to the root of the USB stick.

Now, insert the USB in the 751h and reboot. When you get to the unetbootin menu just press Enter(Return). Then When you get to the Freedos menu choose the first option (8086(the bios file don't work with himem.sys)). You will end in A:\> type C: and Enter.

Type ZA33212.EXE and press Enter - Let the bios update finish and follow what it says on the screen.

When the 751h reboots remove the USB and your laptop will start up with updated bios. Go into bios and load setup defaults. Then save and exit.

Go into Bios again and set it up to your liking.

It didn't solve my problem with the HDD not being detected but the bios is not corrupted anymore.

It I helped you, then a "Thank you" goes a long way:)

JBJ

insomniacno1, Nov 25, 2017
  2. insomniacno1

fey

i have get same condition and did your suggestion but didnt work. what should i do?

fey, Nov 27, 2018
Ask a Question